They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

No sound

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Re: No sound

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 am

cdeemer wrote: At any rate, I now have two beautiful DVDs of the silent comedy. Goodnight.

Great to hear Charles !
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: No sound

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Glad there was good news and the Project is finished.

I'd agree with Chuck, that the MP3's were part of the problem. However, there is one other aspect, and it might come to light, if Charles publishes his Export settings for his intermediate AVI, especially the Audio.

Adobe products, that burn to DVD are very strict on what they'll work with. Everything has to be 100% to the DVD-spec. Other programs play fast and loose with those same specs. What is allowed in a DVD, Audio-wise is PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and AC3 Dolbly Digital - ONLY. In PAL land, MPEG Audio is an optional format, but not in NTSC land. Also, as an "optional" format, it can only be included on a secondary Audio Track on the DVD. Now, Encore, PE and older Pro (that burned to DVD) apps try to make everything conform 100% to the DVD specs. Most often, they can, but sometimes they fail. What usually happens is an error message (may be so horribly cryptic that Sherlock Holmes could never figure it out), or the Adobe program will just ignore that aspect that cannot be brought into 100% compliance.

By being so strict, and playing totally by the rules, Adobe insures the greatest liklihood that the DVD will play in the greatest number of players. Other software, not so strict. What many users do not know is that the liklihood of those DVDs playing everywhere is greatly diminished by not adhereing to the DVD specs. They only know that software B did burn and that it played for them. They look at Adobe and do not realize why it did not burn, or omitted something. They just think that it is poor software.

Back to an earlier reply in this thread. Some MP3's work and some just do not. I have yet to find out what is wrong with the ones that do not. To me, they look the same, but some just flat do not work. So far, I've been lucky, as many of my SFX libraries are in MP3 format, and all, to date, have worked fine in Adobe. Still, if I have majore MP3's, I always convert to WAV, prior to Import. Probably extra work for some of these, but I've never had a correct spec. WAV not work.

Still, that Charles' Project completed is the main thing!

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to DVD Authoring