They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD with video data files vs watchable DVD

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

DVD with video data files vs watchable DVD

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:35 pm

OK - you can probably tell I'm a bit new/confused by the post title, but here's my basic question:

I need to create a DVD that essentially has the video files that will be viewed on a *computer* only. And, I don't mean watch on a computer (full-screen, movie quality), just mean they essentially want to store the video data files and preview the contents. Here are my questions:
- What format should I create them in when capturing the video? Want best quality captured but not necc when imported (it's likely I'll go to watchable DVD from that same capture).
- Then, what format should I export them into (if not the same)? I've heard Quicktime is the most universal on PC or Mac (is that a .mov file or what)? Or, just a mpg file?
- Then burn them onto a DVD for storage, right? And, I say DVD here b/c it has more capacity than a CD?

So, essentially this person has multiple video files on a DVD - they want to watch on their computer and then decide which scenes they want to watch on a TV-quality DVD.

Ah, yes, so then follow up question is:
- What format to export that (DV-AVI or is there a standard that is the output of a particular software program?)

Thank in advance for sorting through my messy question!

Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: DVD with video data files vs watchable DVD

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Alexa, Welcome to Muvipix :)

My first question for you is, what type of camcorder are you capturing from?
That will depend on the format of your captured clips.

If it is from a DVD or Hard Drive camcorder you will get MPEG or similar, if it is Mini DV tape you will get DV-AVI.

What program are you going to use for capturing?

As far as putting the video files on a DVD for computer use, either DV-AVI, WMV, or MOV will be just fine.
DV-AVI may be the easiest and have the best quality, but will also take up the most space.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:03 pm

If you want to burn video data files to a DVD and then later choose a clip for editing and pull it from the DVD for burning to a DVD format suitable for watching via a DVD player then your best bet is to stick with DV-AVI. Downside is that you can only burn 20 minutes of DV-AVI to a DVD.

If you just want to review the data files (rather than pulling them off and editing/burning them) on a PC then you can use .mov (MAC or Windows) or .wmv (Windows)... you will be able to store a lot of video in these formats, dependant on the bitrate.

If you finally want to view on a TV via a DVD player then you will ultimately want to burn a DVD disc with MPEG2 format which will hold between one to two hours on a DVD.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi there -

Thanks for the fast answer - I'm *lovin'* this forum! I'm learning so much. At any rate, my follow up would be - if I import as DV-AVI, can I then export as .mov or .wmv for their data DVD? (And, so not an .mpg in any way - or .mpg2, or 4?) That way, I get more clips on the one DVD they can watch (by clicking on each video file) on their computer?

Does that make sense? Then, I'm ready to edit when they say "go" but they see what they've got first? Basically want to avoid me spending time (and their $) to edit videos they don't really want.

Thanks again -
Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:22 pm

You could use H.264 to export a mpeg4 and the size and quality may be what you want, should also be able to view on a PC or MAC.
What program will you be capturing, exporting and editing with?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Ah, you've stumbled into my other dilemma (and probably subsequent post but I'm trying to read everything first to be a polite forum user!) Here goes - I have Pinnacle 9 and was going to upgrade to 12 but then you all are such big fans of Premiere Elements (or Pro) that now I'm looking at Premiere Elements 4 (instead?). Appeal of Pinnacle was that it's pretty clear about it's ease of uploading analog... But, I also use Photoshop Elements 6 for photo import/organizing, have Photoshop CS which I use for heavyduty retouching, and use Illustrator. Seems like sticking with Adobe would be the way to go, yes?

Top it off, I'm getting an iMac in next month, most likely with Final Cut express. But, given import of DV files pretty commonly, I'd like to have both PC and Mac option.

(As an aside, I also looked at Cyberlink Power Director b/c of the sharing elements with menus/themes and use of FlickR for photos - that's pretty awesome.)

Are you sorry you asked? :-D

Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:35 pm

akcorcoran wrote:Are you sorry you asked? :-D
Alexa

No, not at all :)

I will let some of the ex-Pinnacle users speak up here, maybe some Power Director users around as well.
Premiere Pro comes in a Windows or Mac version now, but not Premiere Elements.

I only asked because it is easier to explain the export and import of video if you know the software.
If you are using Premiere Elements there is tons of help here, if you are using other software there is still lots of help, just not as much.
I can help if you decide on Premiere Elements or Pro :)

One of our forum members, Dee Dee, has also moved on to MAC and Final Cut Express, she would be a big help to you in that department.
There is even a forum for Final Cut Express here viewforum.php?f=28

I'm sure you will get lots of advice, I will put my plug in for Premiere Elements.
You can't find a better forum and in my opinion no better software, all things considered.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks - I'm going to keep doing my reading and know I'll make an informed decision from here. I'm so honored to be "forum-ing" with a founder! :) (and, I'm leaning towards Premiere Elements 4 for the PC b/c it will fit in so well with all the other programs I use. Now, the Mac is a different story.)

So, back to my original question, if I have PE4 (right abbrev - always that was photoshop elements?), it would be relatively straightforward to export into the format you recommend
use H.264 to export a mpeg4 and the size and quality
. Is that as universal as a Quicktime file (?.mov?) or is that just what my Mac friends have told me ("must use Quicktime")...

And, last follow up (for now), is that when I'm burning the "video data DVD" (smaller formats for computers only), I'm assuming I use just a DVD data burn process (data to DVD or CD settings)? Or, is it all just in the file type on the DVD that makes the difference?

Thx -
Alexa

(Side question is - can I create my own custom theme/DVD menu in Premiere Elements? Assuming so...)
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Premiere Elements 4 will export to many formats with the ability to adjust advanced settings.
You can export DV-AVI, MOV, WMV, H.264(mpeg4), FLV and others. H.264 is just as universal as MOV.

To burn the files to DVD you do a simple data burn to DVD with any burning software, burning the video DVD is a different process.

You can create menus for Premiere Elements as long as you have Photoshop Elements or Photoshop CS, which you already have.
If you are accustomed to working with Layer Sets it will be a piece of cake, otherwise Steve Grisetti has a very nice tutorial in our products section.
It is usually best to start with a template that is close to what you are looking for and make modifications, very easy in most cases.

There are some things that Premiere Elements will not do as far as menus are concerned. It will not allow sub menus, just Main and Scene menus.
Some users have gone to different software for DVD Authoring, such as Sony DVD Architect or Adobe Encore DVD.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi again -

OK, thanks. Head is spinning but I think I've definitely learned what I need to know about doing the "video data DVD" - it almost seems like it would have been easier to dump all the content into a watchable DVD (with no editing for now)! ;)

And, thanks for all the guidance on menus. You're my "go to guy" here today - also with my guidance on my Hi8 dilemma! I very much appreciate it -
Alexa

edited to add:
shoot - wrong post! adding comment to the right one! #-o
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring