They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Imgburn

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Imgburn

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 am

Hi There

I am trying to download ImgBurn and everytime I download the files, my virus protection deletes the downloaded files as they have spyware attached. Is Imgburn safe to download? I tried most of the "mirror" sites including the one provided by ImgBurn and they were all the same.

Thanks
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Imgburn

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 am

Imgburn itself is safe to run, but the author has changed the installer to install other programs which you definitely don't want. Those other programs are what's causing your virus protection to reject the download. But, you can opt out of installing the unwanted programs.

When the installation program runs, read each page carefully. When I installed the current version of Imgburn (v2.5.8.0), the installer wanted to install other programs (conduit and pureleads) before it installed Imgburn. When it wants to install "conduit search protect", there will be an option for "express" that's pre-selected, don't click next. That will install the unwanted program. Instead, select the custom installation option and uncheck "install conduit search and protect". You'll see a message that "leaving all boxes unchecked will not install anything", that's fine -- it only means Conduit will not be installed. Now you can click next. It will want to install "Pureleads". Same thing, choose custom and uncheck install pureleads. Now click next and the Imgburn installation will run. Those programs mentioned were the ones I saw when I ran the installation. I don't know if you will see the same ones. Just remember, select custom and uncheck install.
Bob

Postby Peru » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:51 am

I installed ImgBurn about a couple months ago from the ImgBurn Mirror, using all of the custom install options, as I've done many times previously on many computers.
There was no mention of OpenCandy at any time during the installation.

I was surprised to find that when I ran an Malwarebytes Anitmalware scan immediately afterward, I had found that it installed OpenCandy! It was easily removed, but it was disturbing to find that there was no opt out option. I searched the ImgBurn forum and found that I was not alone. The author, Lightning UK!, explained that the only way that he could afford to keep ImgBurn free is to allow these tactics.

I have found that the way around this is to install and old version of ImgBurn (I have a few old versions archived) and update it. The updates seem to be "clean."
Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm

I did some checking and the Imgburn v2.5.8.0 installer does use OpenCandy -- older versions do not. That in itself shouldn't be a problem. OpenCandy runs in the installer and is what is offering to install the other programs and should normally uninstall itself. According to the OpenCandy web site, you can open a command line and run the installer from the command line adding a /NOCANDY parameter to avoid the offers, or simply disconnect or disable the Internet connection while installing.

While OpenCandy claims that every offer is optional and can be declined, it is setup is such a way as to install by default and those that don't read carefully and just press next will end up with the programs installed. That's bad. The Conduit Search that was offered to me, for example, is a known browser hijacker and has been used to install malware. Always read the installation prompts carefully.
Bob

Postby Peru » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't know firsthand, but I read on another forum that FileHippo has a clean download of ImgBurn.
Peru

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks, it is the OpenCandy that my virus scan picks up and deletes the whole download.

Peru, I tried FileHippo and same result
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 pm

I managed to find an old version on FileHippo and have successfully installed the program. I will run an update later and get the latest version.

Thanks for all your help
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 pm

FileHippo has the same v2.5.8.0 installer as everyone else that uses OpenCandy. But, they also have older versions that can be downloaded.

FYI, ImgBurn does explicitly say that it's using OpenCandy. From the ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 change log: "- Changed: No longer bundling/offering the Ask.com toolbar in the setup program, OpenCandy now handles product offerings during installation." Also, if you run the installer, the EULA for both ImgBurn and OpenCandy are displayed and you have to agree to the terms before you can proceed. Of course, if you don't read the EULAs, you won't know that. Here's a screen grab -- notice that OpenCandy is mentioned right at the top.

ibeula.JPG

In rerunning the installer to get the screen grabs, I noticed that the "offered" additional programs are presented two ways. One refers to a standard installation, the other refers to an express install. It seems to vary with what is being offered. The first time I ran this, I only saw express installs. In either case, don't take the default. Choose the custom install and uncheck the boxes (unless you actually want that junk!?). Here's what both look like before and after checking the custom install box and deselecting the items.

ibstd.jpg
ibcust.jpg

ibexp.jpg
ibexpadv.JPG

OpenCandy itself appears to be safe. I can't say the same about all the possible things it may recommend (Conduit comes to mind). If you don't install any of the offerings, it doesn't stay installed. If you do, it does stay installed. According to the website, "Should you accept an app recommendation, an OpenCandy helper application may run periodically on your computer for up to a few days to verify if the recommended app was activated and then it deletes itself automatically."

OpenCandy is also used by another program we recommend here often: "MediaInfo".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:06 pm

My virus protection Trend Micro Titanium, automatically deleted the files and said "OpenCandy" is spyware. I found one of the old versions on FileHippo and installed successfully. I always do a custom install when I download any new programs, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for all the help and advice
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:00 am

I'm glad you were able to obtain and install an older version. ImgBurn is one of the best free burner applications available.
Bob

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 am

Bob wrote:
FYI, ImgBurn does explicitly say that it's using OpenCandy. Also, if you run the installer, the EULA for both ImgBurn and OpenCandy are displayed and you have to agree to the terms before you can proceed.

So, there is no option in the latest version to just accept the ImgBurn EULA and not accept the OpenCandy EULA.
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

No, there is no way to accept one without the other.

You can't stop it from running, but you can block OpenCandy and it won't offer software or install. One way is block Internet access during the install. My cable modem has a button to block access. If I press that and run the install, OpenCandy doesn't rear its head and Imgburn installs clean. Imgburn does pop up a web page to let you know the install completed and that will time out. The other way is to edit the Windows hosts file and add the OpenCandy server addresses redirected to local host.
Bob

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Bob wrote:No, there is no way to accept one without the other.

You can't stop it from running, but you can block OpenCandy and it won't offer software or install. One way is block Internet access during the install.

There won't be any trace of OpenCandy left such as registry entries or empty folders?
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:34 pm

I ran the installer with the Internet blocked this morning to test it and ImgBurn looks like it installed clean. I saw no OpenCandy related folders empty or otherwise and no related entries in the registry. The only OpenCandy related things I found on my system drive were the browser related entries from when I was looking at their web site. I deleted those and reran the installer just to be sure and my system was completely clean.
Bob

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm

That's good news, Bob. Thanks for the update. :TU:
Peru

Return to DVD Authoring