They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Suggestions for DVD cover creation?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Suggestions for DVD cover creation?

Postby dsttexas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm

I would like some suggestions for software to create and print DVD covers for the standard size case with clear sleeves. Needs to include ability to print info in the spline area, include various templates, allow easy sizing of photos, titling, etc.

I used Nero back at version 8 but has long since been lost due to system upgrades.

Don
Dell Vostro quad core i7, 6GB, Win 10 64 bit, latest service levels. Sony Movie Studio 12, DVD Arch Studio 5, Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
dsttexas

Re: Suggestions for DVD cover creation?

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:35 pm

I use Photoshop to design the disc print and bring into PrintCD as a photo jpg. If it is just words then I type that up in PrintCD. I found a template for many sizes of disc prints online. The one I use prints the edge and I get a warning in PrintCD, but just ignore.

For the DVD case inserts I also use Photoshop to design and print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Trim the top and bottom. The sides do not print to the edge so I trim a fraction off of that. I made my own template and willing to share with you if interested.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 pm

If you have Photoshop Elements, the Elements Organizer includes templates for creating CD and DVD case art.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby dsttexas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks Cheryl and Steve.

I did find a CD with Memorex's ExPressit software that came with some of their DVD labels I bought some time ago. It's really pretty simple and gets the job done.

However, being a person that likes to learn new things, I used Photoshop Elements 11 Organizer for the first time and got through it finally. It does not offer an easy way to type text in a pre-formatted sideways area for the spline (like ExPressit), so that was a custom job. When done, I had to print to a size of 7.1 inches x 10.6 inches to get the image on 8.5 x 11 paper then trimmed to fit the sleeve. I would have thought Ps Elements would have handled both those issues for a standard DVD box sleeve by having a template for it.

I don't know of way to use Cheryl's template in Photoshop Elements, do you?

Don
Dell Vostro quad core i7, 6GB, Win 10 64 bit, latest service levels. Sony Movie Studio 12, DVD Arch Studio 5, Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
dsttexas

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm

In PSE the type can be rotated with Transform to go along the spine. My PS template should work in PSE since it is basic type and size. If it had masks then that doesn't translate. I'll edit a template to be generic and upload and see if it works for you.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Here is the template. I use 8 1/2 x 11 paper center print. Cut the top. The guides on the sides show approximately where the printer will not print. Keep text, etc in the boundaries. Cut the bottom last measuring 18 1/2 cm from the top for the cut. The guide at the bottom is approximate. There is a guide running thru the spine for text alignment. The guide on the right side shows the center of the right side to place photo and align text. Normally I have each section of type in Folders, but I don't think PSE supports folders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby dsttexas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks Cheryl, I'll give it a try.
Don
dsttexas

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:29 am

If all else fails I can recommend this:-

http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/

It is very easy to use and it isn't expensive.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:35 pm

I've used these guys since forever. Works great. They have a lot of pre-perforated labels from Wine Bottles to DVD Labels.

http://www.neato.com/
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby prkraus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:16 pm

In the CD/DVD label creator in Photoshop Elements 13, is there any way to insert a photograph in the place of the generic background?
prkraus

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm

I have found that sometimes the DVD case manufacturer has a link to their website where you can download a free template that is specific to their case. I have had luck especially with the slimline cases.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:54 am

...or you can try this which I have had for a few years now and found very it to be a very useful addition to the "video toolbox".

http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/

They do offer a free trial but I don't know if that includes 'watermarking' any labels produced during the trial. At US$21.95 it isn't expensive.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 am

prkraus wrote:In the CD/DVD label creator in Photoshop Elements 13, is there any way to insert a photograph in the place of the generic background?

You should be able to do that. Once you create your CD/DVD label picture project in Photoshop Elements, there is a graphics section on the side of the workspace. If I remember correctly, there is a background element where you can change the image. You can also add additional image panes. I don't have Photoshop Elements on my computer so I can't give you detailed instructions. If you still have problems, let us know and someone who has the program installed should be able to help you out.
Bob

Postby prkraus » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks, Bob. I looked in graphics tab and it had many backgrounds, frames, and some art for around the hole of the DVD. Will that tab or some other mechanism allow me to import one of my own photos into that library of graphics and images so that I can use it as a background? The photo frames are great. That was another question I had that is now answered.
prkraus

Postby prkraus » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:41 pm

I found the answer by accident. I can put the photo in the photo bin and move it up into the background. Thanks.
prkraus

Return to DVD Authoring