They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating a DVD in Encore 2.0

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Creating a DVD in Encore 2.0

Postby Helen » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:18 am

Hi
I have created a project in Encore 2.0 and now am ready to burn the final DVD. I have started to Build the DVD to a "folder", but on reading up I am not sure whether I should I have done it to an "image". I wish to burn multiple copies of the dvd with Nero once I have checked my first copy.

I found creating the menu and submenus not too difficult, but I find I have now confused myself about the final output. I read somewhere that when you build to a "folder", it is used to view the movie on a computer and if you wish to view the movie on a dvd player you should use the "image" option. I am hesitant to stop the process at the moment as it is approximately half way through now and I think I would rather let this process finish and then try again with the "image" option if I need to.
Hope I am clear enough in my question about whether to "Build to a Folder" or to "Build to an Image"
Thanks
Helen :-s
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Creating a DVD in Encore 2.0

Postby Paul LS » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:18 am

Either should be fine. The folder will have the DVD files which you burn as a DVD movie in NERO for example. The Image will be an iso file or the like that you can also burn in NERO. Probably more programs are able to burn the image, the DVD folder needs to be burnt as a DVD movie file not a data file in order for it to play on set-top boxes as well as computers.
Probably for burning multiple copies the Image file is more convienent. But you can burn multiple copies with both.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 am

I would say burn all your copies with Encore, it would be safe to keep it in the same program that created it.
Encore is not like Premiere Elements, if you make changes to a video clip it only re-encodes that clip not the whole video.
If you don't make any changes Encore will just burn the DVDs, no transcoding or anything else required as long as you keep the transcoded files.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi Paul and Chuck
I built my project and tried to burn it in Nero unsuccessfully. :( It looks like it burns ok, but the verify of the disc fails. I placed it into my dvd player and the majority of it works. The bit that does not work is very jerky. The first time I used a Ritek disc and I tried again with a verbatim disc with the same result. It came up with different file names when the verify in Nero failed.
I then tried Chuck's advice and burnt the disc through Encore and once again I got the same result. I used the "Check Disc" option in Encore as well.

The only difference between this project and my previous projects is the use of Encore 2.0 to create the menus and submenus. The original footage is all captured of my video camera and still images that have been downsized. I edited each section in PE 2.0 and exported as several individual avis which I then imported into Encore and created my menus.
I checked the project in Encore and no problems were found, and the preview in Encore looked really good. I did not change any transcoding settings in Encore and just let it do the job. In my opinion I think I have a problem with the settings when it transcodes, but I am not sure what.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to fix the problem? I really like the submenus, but I may have to go back to PE and just have several scene menus as I need to get this project finalised pretty soon.
I am running XP Pro and have over 100g free on the drive and I am trying to do a PAL project.
Thanks
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:04 pm

That is exactly how I have been doing my projects Helen, export AVIs from Premiere Elements 3 import into Encore CS3 and create the menus. Then I just let Encore transcode and do its thing, haven't had a problem yet.

Try saving your menus in a new location, open a new Encore project, import the menus and AVI files to the new project and try it again. Make sure you remove the transcode files so the new project will have to transcode the video again.

Other than that, try burning the project from Premiere Elements just to be sure your DVD burner isn't causing any problems. And a DVD burner Firmware update might help too.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 am

Chuck
Have just finished creating the project in PE with the menus that I like (except for the submenus) and will burn tonight. I will report back tomorrow and let you know how I go. It will take a while to do as it is a large project. Too long for one dvd in my opinion, but the person I am making it for wants it all there.
I am assuming that a new project will not have any links from one avi to another so when I save the menus and reimport them, will my previous links be saved or will I have to recreate them all again.
Thanks
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:49 am

If you are getting "verify" errors the problem is the actual burning process not the source file itself... data is being lost during the burn. It is probably the DVD media or the speed that you are writing at. When you burn in NERO reduce the burn speed to 2.4x do not let it burn at the maximum speed.
Also as Chuck says check for a firmware upgrade.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:29 am

In Encore you can also set the burn speed to 2.4x, when you have the option don't burn at faster than 4x (MO)

I am curious as to how long the video is, you can only fit so much on a DVD, even highly compressed, before things start going wrong.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi
I recreated my project overnight in PE 2.0 and burnt a dvd in Nero at 4x speed with no errors during the verify :-D . All looked good, but when I checked the dvd in the player, it was jerky in the same spots again :( . So it looks like the problem is with my original files. I always burn my dvds at a speed of 4x. That is the slowest speed on my burner.

The project is 2 hours 30 minutes long and the problem is in the last two clips on the dvd. The last clip (20 minutes duration) is the worst unwatchable, and the second last clip (10 minutes duration) is slightly jerky. I used the "fit to dvd" option. So is the project too long for the dvd? I would like to cut down on the clips, but the person I am making the dvd for, wants everything included. It is from a story dance production and there is footage of rehearsals and other musical acts on the night.

I can try to reexport the two faulty clips from PE and try again. I don't normally change any settings for the export, is there any settings that I need to check that may have been changed accidently?
Also Chuck, if I do export again and bring the new file into Encore do I just save over the original file on my harddrive and Encore will accept the change and the links will stay the same, or will I have to point Encore to the new file. I am glad that it does not look like that Encore is the problem. I really like the sub menus I can create.

I might try splitting the project into two, one dvd for the rehearsal and the story dance, and the other dvd for the other musical acts. That way one dvd will be about an hour and 20 minutes and the other 70 minutes long.
Thanks once again, I'll be glad when I get this finished.
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:37 pm

With regard to my post above. On checking my exported avis in Windows Movie Player, they all play correctly. There is no jerkiness or anything else wrong. I have come to the conclusion that the project must be too long and I will try splitting it now and see if that fixes the problem [-o< . Hope it does, otherwise I do not know what I will do. Will post with my results most likely again tomorrow.
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 am

Are the clips all from the same source Helen?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:45 am

Paul

Yes all the clips are from the same source. They are from my video camera that I use all the time for my projects. That is one of the frustrating parts. Let you know tomorrow how I go with the project split.
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:59 am

Paul and Chuck

Success!! :-D :-D I split the project into two, and the original faulty clips now play fine. I still need to create the other half of the project, but those clips worked fine in the original, so I should have no problems. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, I will remember this for any future projects.
Thanks once again
Helen :)
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 am

Helen wrote:Hi
Chuck, if I do export again and bring the new file into Encore do I just save over the original file on my harddrive and Encore will accept the change and the links will stay the same, or will I have to point Encore to the new file.

Hi Helen, Glad things are working out.
In answer to your question, it is easiest to point Encore to the new file but you can also delete the old one and give the new one the same name and Encore will be just fine with that. You will have to adjust the video on the Encore Timeline if the length changes.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:01 am

Thanks Chuck,
I am glad that I got the project to work with Encore, the menus are so much better. Having a 'play all' and then also being able to have different scene selections for different topics is great. This is one feature that I would like to see in PE, the ability to have sub menus. I also like the ability to have a clip before the first menu.
Helen :)
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to DVD Authoring