They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Encore CS3 flowchart

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Encore CS3 flowchart

Postby hpharley90 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:00 pm

I've just used the Flowchart to make myself a main menu and a sub menu in Encore CS3.
I watched the workshop video that Adobe has and looked very easy to use.

My main menu has 2 buttons which are "play all" and "chapter selection".
The sub menu has "4 chapters " a "main menu" button and an "extra" button.

The problem I'm having is with the 4 chapters.
When I click chapter 1 in the sub menu I want it to play all the way to the end of 4 chapters then go back to sub menu.
When I click chapter 2 I want video to start at chapter 2 and play to the end of movie and go back to sub menu.
When I click chapter 3 I want it to start at chapter 3 and go to end of movie then go to sub menu.
The same thing with 4 I want it to start at 4 and play to the end the go back to sub menu.

It seems that the "end action objects" from the 4 chapters cannot have their end action settings adjusted for their individual chapters.
I will set the "end action"for chapter 1 and it makes the other 3 chapters the same setting.
I 'll change "end action" for chapter 3 and the other chapters will get that same setting also.

I see that the "end action object" are a little grayed out and fuzzy looking in the flowchart.
Is that why I can't adjust the end action point?

It's probably my lack of knowledge with the soft ware so any help will be much appreciated.
I plan on using this menu and sub menu format often so I would like to fix this.

I will try and put a screen shot of the flowchart.
I'm not too good at this.
image002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Encore CS3 flowchart

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:29 pm

Create a playlist and set the button to play the playlist.
The playlist will consist of all chapters you want to play and in what order.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm

I get to set the chapters the way I like.
The problem is that I can't seem to control what happen after the chapter ends.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:21 pm

You can with the Playlist, you get to set the End Action and send it back to the Main Menu, Scene Menu, or where ever you want.
Use the Playlist feature and you will be just fine ;) A playlist can consist of one or more chapters ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:53 am

Chuck I tried it with the Play list and I'm getting the same results as with Flowchart.

In the Flowchart I would click end action object of chapter and it opens in properties panel.

Then I would set end action point.

The other three chapters change also to the same setting.

When I have the play list open in properties panel I click on a chapter to change end action.

It will change the other three chapters to the same setting.

I know this is not how it's supposed to work.

I deleted that project last night and tonight I will try with a fresh new project.

On a side note Encore has given me the"Sorry Adobe Encore needs to close" many times.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:42 am

Richard Pouliot wrote:On a side note Encore has given me the"Sorry Adobe Encore needs to close" many times.

Sounds like there are other issues involved here as well.

I really don't understand why the playlists aren't working, they should do exactly what you need.
If you have a playlist (playlist 1) and add Chapter 1 to the playlist and set the end action as 'Main Menu - Play All button' Then you set the Chapter Menu Button 1
to play Playlist 1. After playing chapter 1 it will return to the Main Menu Button as the End Action says. If you add Chapters 2 and 3 to Playlist 1, it will play chapters 1, 2, and 3 before returning to the Main Menu Button. The End Action can be another Playlist too, and that playlist can have a different End Action. A Playlist can have multiple chapters or just one and each playlist has its own end action.

Maybe a re-install will fix everything.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:28 am

Chuck good idea.
I think I will do a re-install and go from there.
I'll post how I make out.

Also I'll try a play list with its own chapter.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:06 am

Well it's been a couple of weeks but I got my problem solved. :-D
I did the reinstall.
No more "serious error Adobe needs to close."

I tried again with the play list but I get confused. :-k

So I went back to the flow chart and found that I am supposed to double click the chapter to open the properties panel so that I can get to the end action box.

When I started using the software I was only single clicking the chapter.
No wonder the properties panel was not opening.

I made my first menu and sub menu and they work great. \:D/

Thanks
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:39 am

Great to hear Richard, sure wish you could get the hang of Play Lists though :-k

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Even though above I said my menu came out good I wasn't happy with the placement of the chapter markers.

I captured and edited with PP CS3 and exported to Encore.
I figured I would put my chapter markers in when I make my menu.
I could never get the markers exactly where the CTI was.

The marker would always come a little before or after the CTI.
And where my chapter 2 marker ended up it would make the clip a little jittery in preview.
And where ever I move the 2nd chapter marker up or down the time line it would get jittery in that spot when I preview the clip.

I spent a lot of time and still could not get the chapter marker where I wanted it.

The clip played fine just playing the time line.

So I cleared the time line and brought in the DV-AVI clip instead of mpeg 2.

I was able to put my chapter markers EXACTLY where I wanted them and no jitteryness (if there is such a word.)

From now on no more export to Encore.
I will import DV-AVI instead and go from there.

And Chuck I will try and get a handle on those play lists.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Richard Pouliot wrote:From now on no more export to Encore.
I will import DV-AVI instead and go from there.

Very good to know Richard, I have always exported the AVIs for import into Encore, thanks for the heads up.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Richard,

A year later, but I'll wager that the reason that you could not get the Chapter Markers exactly where you want them, is because you Imported MPEG into your Project in Encore. Encore will ONLY place the Markers at the head of a GOP. For frame accurate placement, use DV-AVI out of PP. Yes, you will then need to let Encore Transcode, but you can set the Transcode settings, if you need something beyond the "Automatic" setting.

Also, since you are using Encore2 or above (CS3), your initial requirement would have been best handled by the Chapter Playlist. These are similar to Playlists, but have a bit more power for what you were doing. Now, I normally edit in PP to Chapters, i.e. each Sequence = one Chapter, so I almost never need to use Chapter Playlist, only Playlists.

Also, never, never, never set any Overrides, unless you know that you need them, and also know exactly what they will do. Chances are almost 100% that since Encore2, one will never need to use any Override anyplace for any reason.

Last, there are two levels of messages in Encore's Check Project and their level is not really clear. There are those that will not navigate, as you wish and are Errors. There are some information messages, that just indicate that Encore "thinks" that something isn't quite right. These, can usually be ignored. Now, I like Check Project to yield a 100% on the process, but there are a few of the information messages, that are best ignored. Yeah, it's kinda' confusing, but that's the way it is. Also, the Check Project is mostly about navigation per the DVD specs. It is NOT a pre-flight check and major errors can still occur, just not in the navigational aspect of the DVD. I've asked for a pre-flight for two generations of Encore now, but it is either too hard to implement, or I'm the only one who wants it.

Hope this helps someone else with the same questions,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Yes Bill your correct about bringing the mpeg into Encore and Encore placing chapter markers at the head of a GOP.

I read about it in the help files.
I have no more problems (so far) and everything is smooth sailing. :-D

Thanks
Rich
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Richard,

Also from a re-visit to the original thread, I'd add one little thing to your workflow, that you might find useful in the future.

When I start an Encore Project, I first build my Bin/Folder structure (or use one of the "templates," that I've made) and then Import As ____ into my various Bins. As I will bring in my DV-AVI's as Timelines (then separate the Video into the Video Bin in the Project Panel), the Flowchart will assume that the first Timeline created will be Play First. I just leave this for the time being. Now, my Flowchart has an "orphange" full of Timelines, but only one Link (that Play First). I do no linking yet. I then create/Import my Menus and work on them as is needed. I change the Button names and even the names of the Button Layer Set to reflect what I'll be doing. Next, I'll create my Playlists/Chapter Playlists in my Playlist Bin. Still, no new Links, except for those in my various Playlists. I also set all of my Asset's End Actions, once all Assets are Imported.

When the Project is full of all Imported, or created, Assets, I go into the Flowchart to address that first, and only, Link. If I am smart, I'll make sure to Import my real Play First DV-AVI as a Timeline, so this will be correct, and not need to be addressed. Often, however, if I do a Shift-click Import of all DV-AVIs Windows will do its thing, and my First Play will not be correct. I change as is needed.

It is at this point that I actually begin making my Links. I have ALL Assets in their Bins in the Project Panel, including my Playlists/Chapter Playlists. I then start Linking to my Menus and Playlists. This saves having to undo any Links, except that Play First. I find that a lot of folk get into trouble, when they have to break Links and redo them.

Most of my Projects are a Play First (maybe another AV after it) that goes to a Main Menu. From this, one might either access Scene Selection Menus, or a Play All Playlist. I do not use that many Chapter Playlists, because I edit in PP to a Chapter being in a separate Sequence. Still, I do get to use them, if I want a different order to that Timeline/Sequence. I usaully have a Final Credits and a "The End" Timeline. The Credits usually appears only in the Play All Playlist. The End will appear many times (usually the end of the Scene Selection choices and any other Playlists, and always as the last Timeline in my Play All.

Other than the Preview and Burn buttons, the Flowchart is the last thing I touch. I love it, but don't want to get confused or make bogus Links, until I've got everything else nailed down. Usually, by this time, the client (or I) will have looked over and signed off on a print-out that covers everything that will be on the real Flowchart. They also know that changes in navigation, or layout, from that point on, will cost them $. They usually resist making a bunch of changes that would affect the Flowchart.

This may seem a bit boring, as I do this for almost every Project. To keep me interested and add some spice, I usually do a lot of animation of my Menus to give them what appear to be "flying Buttons," and the like.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring