They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How and why to learn Encore? Please discuss.

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

How and why to learn Encore? Please discuss.

Postby Margthecar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:46 pm

I am slowly learning parts of CS5. I have Premiere down pretty well now and am getting a handle on After Effects. Next up is Encore. After going through the VERY meager Encore section in my book, Premiere Pro Classroom in a Box, I see I am in need of quite a bit more knowledge of Encore. Up to now, I have either made Autoplay disks or exported to Elements and done the Menus there. Encore seems so darn complicated, I am not even sure I want to take the time to learn it. I looked quickly online for an "Encore for Dummies"-type book and there is nothing basic and/or current that I saw. So I have two questions for the community here:

1. What are the main reasons one might learn Encore for DVD authoring as opposed to staying with a more basic tool like Elements?

2. Starting from a point of no knowledge, what is the best and most efficient way to learn Encore?
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Re: How and why to learn Encore? Please discuss.

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi Marg,

1. I use Encore when I need to modify the menu structure, control what happens when a chapter finishes, change the button order or flow, create chapter playlists (good article by Bill Hunt below), quickly change a main, scene or bonus menu in Photoshop, and a lot more. You don't realize how limited you are in Premiere Elements until you get to know Encore ;)
viewtopic.php?p=31575#p31575

Another good article by Bill
viewtopic.php?p=29344#p29344

2. $25 is well spent at Lynda.com for a 30 day subscription to their tutorials :)
If you do decide to purchase a subscription please use our affiliate link here
viewtopic.php?p=59440#p59440

Otherwise you can just ask questions here and we will be happy to help :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Even though I have Encore, I still use DVD Architect Studio for its intuitive feel. It does more that Premiere Elements and is almost as powerful as Encore. And Steve's book and tutorials are all you really need to be an "expert."

One of these days, however, when I have time, I will learn Encore and probably wonder why I didn't use it. ;)
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm

If you want to learn Encore sign up for Lynda.com tuts. I struggled with Encore and avoided it the first year. It was much easier to burn in PrEl. Now I only use Encore. I think the reason I struggled with it is because it isn't a program I used daily or a lot such as PrPro or AE. When you only use a program once a month it is hard to have info stick. The other reason was because I didn't have PS until last Fall. Editing a menu in PS is a lot easier than trying to edit it in Encore. I do have a check list cheat sheet to refresh my memory. There are a few things that are confusing like End Actions, don't forget to render motion menus, if you replace a menu you have to pick whip the menu audio again, etc.

The best thing about Encore is once your files are transcoded then you go back and burn another disc in minutes. I delete my projects from AE & PrPro, but sometimes leave the Encore file intact to burn a disc months later if needed. Saves some space. When I export timelines for Encore, I name them the project name, version, and "forEnc" and are placed in my Encore Project folder. My menus are kept in another location since I design each menu and sometimes reuse parts.

So, my advice is to watch the tuts at Lynda and make yourself up a step by step guide on what type of menus that you normally produce.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:39 pm

1. What are the main reasons one might learn Encore for DVD authoring as opposed to staying with a more basic tool like Elements?

Well, for one, you've already got it -- why not use it. For another, Encore provides much more capability and flexibility than Elements. And, if you just need to do basic projects, it's not much more complicated than Elements. Encore can be intimidating at first because of large amount of features available. But, the basics are fairly staight forward and easily learned.

2. Starting from a point of no knowledge, what is the best and most efficient way to learn Encore?

I'd recommend starting with the Lynda.com Encore CS5 Essentials course. http://www.lynda.com/Encore-CS5-tutorials/essential-training/59960-2.html. The entire second chapter can be viewed for free and will take you though the creation of a basic DVD. The other chapters also have some free lessons that you can view. If you like what you see, you can enroll for the basic one month period and watch the rest.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 pm

There are info/tutorials on the Adobe website. Lots of stuff here but you have to root around a bit:-

http://tv.adobe.com/channels/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to DVD Authoring