They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Interview tips

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Interview tips

Postby momoffduty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:13 am

What is the best way to get interviews or well wishes at events? The last two events when I shot well wishes people asked me when they should start or if the cam is on. I usually say 'whenever you are ready' and then they immediately start speaking. The problem is editing my audio out because I don't have a tail at the beginning so I have to find filler audio. The other problem is that after they speak some walk away quickly. Again, no tail at the end.

Is it rude to point or hold up your hand? Or do you explain the setup? When I got interviews for the Flat Stanley project I did tell the students that I was shooting an extra second or two at the beginning and end of their segment, but this method seems too much when you are at a reception. Any tips?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Interview tips

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:13 pm

People always respond better to direct rather than open questions. In other words, if you ask someone what they'd like to talk about, they'll give you a blank stare. But if you ask them to tell you about they day they first met their spouse, they'll get right into it.

In other words, the more specific you are, the better, clearer stories you'll get.

Also, it helps if you decide in advance what you want the interview to be about, specifically. Then have some direct questions about specific things that they can respond to.

I also encourage people to begin their answer with a complete sentence rather than a response to my question. That way I can edit myself out completely from the interview and it sounds like the interviewee come up with everything on their own!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks Steve, very good points. When I ask for well wishes and they aren't sure what to say then I do give examples. The problem is they start speaking too soon after they ask 'should I start now', etc. Would it be okay to hold up a finger or just nod yes instead of speaking a reply?

Good point too on being specific. After editing old family tapes of previous reunions there seemed to be a lack of introductions. So at the 50th Anniv Party which was like another family reunion I did suggest to the interviewee to say who they were, their children's names, where they are from, how are they related to the family ancestor A & L, any stories they wanted to share or well wishes for M & K. My Aunt did go around the room and introduced every single person (over 100) and I followed her. This was right after they gave their speech so the crowd was all sitting down.

Some people are real hams and others do not want to be on camera. The ones that decline the offer of a well wish I suggest that they may want to be on camera with a small group and let someone else speak. That usually does the trick. But, that still leaves the problem in the first paragraph above, no tails for dissolves between clips.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:30 am

momoffduty wrote: ...Would it be okay to hold up a finger or just nod yes instead of speaking a reply?....

That's how I do it. Thanks too, to Steve, for the other hints. :lol:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 am

I always hold the camera away from them and ask the question like we are talking. Then they can see that I am positioning the camera and they naturally wait for me to get ready and start. I then make a motion that I am ready and that they can answer. This works pretty well.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am

sidd finch wrote:I always hold the camera away from them and ask the question like we are talking. Then they can see that I am positioning the camera and they naturally wait for me to get ready and start. I then make a motion that I am ready and that they can answer. This works pretty well.

Sidd

Great idea! I guess that would be good too if you are walking around with the cam that way you don't get asked 'is it on?'.

And thanks John, good to know.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby cdeemer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 pm

I do a lot of interviews for Oregon Literary Review using a minicam and what I love about it is that it is so SMALL the person forgets it's even there. I actually use two ... I have one hand held but I set a 2nd on a bottle tripod for a 2-shot, so I can cut away during editing for variety. Sometimes I even use three (the 3rd focused at me) -- I use pepsi bottles for the tripod, also practically invisible. With minicams it's real easy to create an environment in which the cameras are functionally invisible. (There are obvious disadvantages, of course, but for my purposes this works perfectly. I especially like shooting with 2 or 3 cameras, all by myself.)
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I'd never heard of a bottle tripod before, Charles, so I had to look it up.

Very interesting toy!
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/ ... ap-tripod/
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Great idea on the bottle tripods. Those would come in handy on vacation and would be good to get night photos without the flash.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:07 am

I'm usually just "the guy behind the camera" and someone else is doing the interviewing. But one technique that I've noticed one of our interviewers using to get that "pause" before the speaking begins is for them to first briefly review the topic or question, and then they say "now take a deep breath, relax, and begin."
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:11 am

I like that method Dave, accomplishes multiple things :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Another great idea, thanks Dave. :) A funny interview at the 50th Anniv party was with a cousin who shot the videos from 1981 & 1992 reunions. I told him turn about was fair play. Before he started his interview he asked "are we rolling?" and "where is the red light, I need my red light, etc....". :lol:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:52 pm

momoffduty wrote:Another great idea, thanks Dave. :) A funny interview at the 50th Anniv party was with a cousin who shot the videos from 1981 & 1992 reunions. I told him turn about was fair play. Before he started his interview he asked "are we rolling?" and "where is the red light, I need my red light, etc....". :lol:

::lol::
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Tips and Tricks