They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Exporting HD With An Alpha Channel From PE

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Exporting HD With An Alpha Channel From PE

Postby Chris B » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi,

I found this out looking for something else. It is possible to export HD video (and probably SD as well) with an Alpha (transparency) channel using Quicktime. Here are some settings for a PAL HD export (1440 by 1080i). It is important to select the video codec as "Animation" to be able to use the 32 bit export options. Note that export is largely uncompressed so gets very big very quickly. It's just over 4MB per second.

Once exported the file can be used in PE as just another video clip. Vegas Movie Studio also reads them but you have to change the properties of the file to say it's interlaced and the alpha channel needs to be set to "Straight (unmatted)"

Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Exporting HD With An Alpha Channel From PE

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:21 am

I looked in PPro and whilst I haven't tried it there, one can use identical settings so in theory no reason why it shouldn't work there too. Great tip. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Exporting HD With An Alpha Channel From PE

Postby Paul LS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:25 am

I haven't heard of the Animation codec. This is what Wikipedia says of it... note the support of alpha channel.
The Animation codec is a fast and lossless (if encoded at 100% quality) Quicktime video codec created by Apple Computer to enable playback of RGB video in real time without expensive hardware. It supports color depths from 1 to 32 bits, and is one of the few video codecs that supports an alpha channel.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks