They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Safest Method For DVD Labeling

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Safest Method For DVD Labeling

Postby BobWard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:31 pm

I am getting ready to label numerous DVDs for distribution to family members.

I have heard a lot of debate about labels causing an unbalance on spinning DVDs, thus causing playback errors. I have also heard that simply writing label descriptions directly onto the DVD surface can cause ink to bleed through the surface and cause playback problems. Although some folks say water-based, non-toxic inks made by Dixon are safe for use on DVDs.

What recommendations can you folks provide on DVD labeling? I use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R disks.

Bob
BobWard

Re: Safest Method For DVD Labeling

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:12 pm

You can purchase felt marking pens that say they're made for writing on CDs and DVDs. Personally, I doubt that they're any different than any other felt marker. I've used both without issue. I buy the CDs and DVDs that have the white printable surface and often just write on them with a marker. There are a number of printers that will allow you to print directly to those surfaces, and that's my favorite way to label. Just look for the ability to print to discs in the specs. You'll likely get some responses from some folks who can recommend specific models if you're interested. Another option is the Lightscribe system, which uses Lightscribe-capable burners that use the laser to burn a label image directly onto a special Lightscribe disc. They can't do color, but many think that it's a nice looking label and use then a lot. I would never use a stick-on label.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:59 pm

I agree with Dave, inkjet printable are great, Lightscribe look good but take too long to print for me.
Just say no to stick on labels, you'll ruin a lot of DVDs that way.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 pm

I'd vote for printable DVD's and either write or print on them. best way IMO.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:23 am

Printable for me too. Either Tyo Yuden (sp) or Verbatim DVD-R. I also use 'ordinary' silver faced Verbatim discs and write onto them with a CD?DVD marker pen. Never had any problems. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:17 pm

I've gone to inkjet printable too when I am aiming for production value. No stick on ones for me anymore (thanks to advice from Muvipix!).
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I use inkjet printable or Lightscribe depending on the look I want.

DVD discs have a reflective coating on one side that is necessary for the laser in the DVD player to be able to read the disc. Damage to the reflective coating is one of the major causes of DVD problems. Damage can be mechanical -- writing on the surface with a ball point pen and tension from stick on labels can cause separation or flaking of the reflective layer, for example. Or, damage can be chemical -- chemicals in inks, adhesives, or corrosive elements in the atmosphere can erode or damage the reflecive layer, even substanstances in perspiration can cause corrosion.

You can also have problems caused by mechanical deformation such as when a paper label contracts with heat or age and warps the disc. And, the stability of the dyes used in manufacture is a major factor. Not to mention what could happen to your DVD player should the lable loosen and strike the laser lens or gum up the mechanism.

The best bet is to stick to quality discs (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, etc.); keep them clean; store them away from bright light, heat, and excess humidity; and avoid paper stick on labels. Both inkjet and Lightscribe are excellant solutions. And, if you want to write on the discs, use a soft tipped marker designed for use with DVD/CDs.
Bob

Postby dlgilbert » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:52 am

I guess I'm old school. I've been using a normal Sharpie permanent marker for years and have never had an issue. :-)

A few years ago, my wife bought me a disc printer that printed directly on the disk, but it was way more of a hassle than I thought it was worth since I wasn't making DVDs for distribution; just for my own use at home.
Dan Gilbert
dlgilbert

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:56 pm

The recommended pen is the Sharpie Fine Point, available just about everywhere.

For stuff that gets saved and shared I use Injet printable media. I used to think I had to cover the entire surface with ink but I have found that a simple frame grab about 2 x 2 3/4 inches with text under it is all I need and people think they look real nice. No sense wasting ink!

Once you get used to a label printer app you can knock out even simple text labels in a couple of minutes and it looks so much better. But test disks and archive disks always get the Sharpie.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:49 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Lightscribe look good but take too long to print for me.

My experience is that LightScribe takes about the same time as inkjet printing, however, my LightScribe labels are not terribly complex. I use one of the templates that comes with the software then add a title.

If you wish to print an image with LightScribe, then that is going to take quite a while.

If I have a lot of LightScribe to do, I use SureThing softare to run 3 writers simultaneously (2 built-in and one USB external).

LightScribe looks best-- quite elegant -- on the standard, as opposed to the colored, Verbatim DVDs.

And the ink cost is $0.00.

At B&H, the cost of the respective blank, high-quality media is similar. (Both types get 4.5/5 stars on the reviews.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553584-REG/Verbatim_96166_DVD_R_LightScribe_Printable_Recordable.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585177-REG/Verbatim_96552_DVD_R_AquaAce_Glossy_White.html#reviews

:hat:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks