They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Optimal Settings for Epson Inkjet Printers

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Optimal Settings for Epson Inkjet Printers

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm

In all the courses that I have taken recently on PSE and PS CS5, the trainers state that, for the best printing output, one should use the Color Setting Adobe RGB (1998) rather than sRGB, however, that is not my experience.

Materials:

--Epson Artisan 50 Printer with Epson Claria Inks
--Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy, Printed at 254 ppi (6x9 inch on 8.5x11-inch paper)

Settings for Optimal Print Results (prints appear AT LEAST AS GOOD as good as what I'm seeing on the monitors in my signature)

--PSE7 Edit>Color Settings: Always Optimize for Computer Screens (sRGB)
--PE7 Printer Settings (Print Dialog Box): a) Color Handling: Printer Manages Colors; b) Source Space: sRGB; c) Printer Preferences, Main Tab: Best Photo; Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy; Fix Photo; d) Advanced Tab: Photo RPM (Max DPI); Color Management: Fix Photo; Scene Correction: Choose according to image: People, Landscape, Night Scene, Sepia Gray. I leave Digitial Camera Correction and Smooth Skin checked for all the choices if there are people in the image.

Here is Epson's description of the various settings:

Advanced Print Options
-
Fix Red-Eye: reduces or removes red-eye in photos.
- High Speed: speeds up printing, but may reduce print quality.
- Edge Smoothing: prints sharper edges on low-resolution images, such as bars in a graph.
- Print Preview: lets you preview your document or photo before printing it.
- Black/Grayscale: for printing text and graphics in shades of gray (not recommended for printing black-and-white photos). When you select Black/Grayscale, some color ink will still be used for print head maintenance.
- Quiet Mode: for printing more quietly on plain paper (may reduce print speed).

-
Select Color Management options
Color Management Options
-
Color Controls: lets you select a Color Mode. Click Settings to adjust Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Density, and individual Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow color tones.
Color Mode: when using Color Controls, selects the main method of printing colors for photos and graphics: EPSON Standard, EPSON Vivid or AdobeRGB.
Gamma: when using AdobeRGB, adjusts the midtone density in the print.
- Fix Photo: automatically analyzes your photos and, if necessary, adjusts the brightness, contrast, and saturation. You can select Scene Correction and choose Auto Correct, People, Landscape, Night Scene, Sepia, or Gray. Additional options let you select settings for Digital Camera Correction and Smooth Skin.
Note:
Fix Photo (or Auto Photo Correction) uses a sophisticated face recognition technology to optimize photos that include faces. For this to work, both eyes and the nose must be visible in the subject’s face. If your photo includes a face with an intentional color cast, such as a statue, you may want to turn off Fix Photo to retain the special color effects.
- ICM: lets you select Off (No Color Adjustment) to use only the color adjustments provided by your printing program.

-
Save all your selected settings for later use (click Save Settings and name the settings); to use saved settings later, select them from the Custom Settings list or from the Shortcuts tab
- Return to the default settings (click Reset Defaults)

If you decide to try the settings that I use on your own Epson printer, please feel free to post your findings on this thread.

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Optimal Settings for Epson Inkjet Printers

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks again for the tips, George!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tips and Tricks