They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fading a Title Crawl

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Fading a Title Crawl

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Based on a post in the Adobe Forum, requesting a soft Fade-out for a Crawl Title, I decided to do this little tutorial, using the fixed Effect>Motion>Position for the Title (to create the Crawl) and then the Linear Wipe Transition Effect (Note: not really a Transition in the purest sense. It is found in the Video Effects Panel) to create the Fade-out.

This was done in PrPro 2.0, but should be applicable to PrE, as well.

In my case, I placed my Video onto Video Track 1, and my Title above it. I adjusted my first Keyframe (first Frame of the Title) for Motion>Position to a horizontal position off-screen to the left. I then set a Keyframe at the end of the Clip to a horizontal position off-screen to the right. I left these Keyframes set to a Linear setting, as I did not need any Ease-In, or Ease-out, and wanted the “travel” of the Title to be purely Linear - zero Velocity change.

Next, I added the Linear Wipe Transition Effect to the Title. I keyframed it come in about 2/3 of the way through the Duration of the Title. I adjusted the Angle of the Linear Wipe to 270ÌŠ and the Feather from 92.5, and Keyframed up to 150, near the end of the Title.

As the Linear Wipe Transition Effect is not found in PrE, at least up to version 4, I am doing a separate tutorial for PrE, as things must be done differently.

Here is the screen-cap of PrPro's Effects Control Panel, showing the Keyframing for the Title's Effects:

Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Fading a Title Crawl

Postby momoffduty » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Very nice Bill! Bookmarked for future use :TU:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:43 pm

I like that Bill, thanks for the tutorials :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Great solution, Bill!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 pm

After doing the Fading Title Crawl tutorial in PrPro, I looked at PrE 4, and it does not have the Linear Wipe Transition Effect. I began thinking of how to duplicate this effect in PrE, and came up with this workflow.

In PrE, place your Video on Video Track 1. Duplicate it (or drag another Instance of it to the Timeline, and place it on Video Track 3. Note: In PrE, this is not the easiest of tasks, as the program wants to place all Assets onto Video Track 1. Move the CTI to the very end of the Timeline (you can hit End too), drag the duplicate, or an Instance of that Video to the Timeline and then drag it to Video Track 3.

Create your Title, and place it onto Video Track 2, then use Keyframes to animate it using the fixed Effect>Motion>Position to suit. In this case, I again used Linear Keyframe Velocity, with no Bezier controls, or Ease-In and Ease-out.

At this point, we have the original Video on Track 1, the animated Title on Track 2 and the duplicate of the Video on Track 3. We cannot see the Title - yet.

Now, we need to limit that duplicate Video to just cover the right-edge of the Frame, and then Feather the edge. To do this, create another Title (our Matte Title), with a white Rectangle on the lower and far-right. Drag that to Video Track 4. Apply the Track Matte Keying Effect to the duplicate Video, and point it to the Title on Video Track 4, choosing Alpha. This will place a small segment of the duplicate Video only, above the animated Title. We want to Feather the leading edge, so on the Matte Title., add Fast Blur, and adjust to suit.

We now have our animated Title passing below the dupe Video segment, that is constrained by the Matte Title (Feathered edge now).

Hope that this helps PrE users.

This is the look at the Title in PrE:

Here is a look at the PrE Timeline:
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks