They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Photos from phones & FB

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Photos from phones & FB

Postby momoffduty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 am

The last several projects have presented a problem with the low res photos from phones & FB. My daughter's phone has 3 photo sizes to choose from and the largest is around 2,000x ?. Not everyone has their setting this high.

For the projects I was given CDs of photos and by chance on the first project checked the file sizes. In PrEl organizer all the photos looked good. After trial & error, I organized the photos by small and large for each tag. Usually I sort photos in segments for a project so now the photos have 2 folders for each segment. Only resized the larger photos.

In AE the small file doesn't matter so much since they aren't full screen. But, in PrPro I couldn't pan & zoom into them. To work around that I used motion backgrounds and smaller photos w/pan&zoom.

What would be a good way to upscale? Think there was a discussion about up sizing awhile back, but couldn't find it.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Photos from phones & FB

Postby Bobby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:58 am

No free lunch here - GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

A friend who returned from an Italy trip recently remarked at how people would spend thousands (or tens of thousands) to take the trip and then use a cell phone camera to capture their memories in full low-res!

I suppose somebody will come along and recommend xyz or fractal whatever, but upscaling is tough. Sorry to be negative...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:03 am

I agree Bobby. Someone wanted me to pull their FB photos and I explained the low rez and said I needed them on a CD or if printed would scan. Things got lost in translation, so they printed their photos from FB to Walg or WalM and gave them to me for scanning.

I noticed a trend that photos are put on FB, but deleted from their hard drive.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:14 am

Upscaling can only go so far and maintain decent quality. Upscaling in small steps seems to be the best way, say 10% at a time. Upscale 10%, then save the file and do it again. This seems to provide a better quality than just going to 100% of the size you are trying to achieve.
This tutorial is pretty good
http://www.depiction.net/tutorials/phot ... images.php
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks Chuck, bookmarked! I am sure I will run into this problem again.

I know someone who has all of his photos on Flickr. Isn't this the same problem, low rez? Does that site store larger files?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Tips and Tricks