They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Outlining on the timeline

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Outlining on the timeline

Postby cdeemer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Has anyone ever used title cards as scene holders to build an outline for a large project on the timeline, cards which then are removed as each appropriate scene replaces them?

I am starting a HUGE project, a feature length "micro movie" that is improvised around a tight story outline. I am a character in the story, a narrator with a camera. I've been thinking of how to build this project efficiently with a tight dramatic focus and have decided on this plan.

I will record the most essential narrative moments, placing the files along the audio track. I will build the appropriate scenes with a title card for each (i.e. Jane tells Joe she is leaving him), placing these along the video track. As I shoot scenes, I'll overlay them over the appropriate title card.

My experience watching improvised drama/comedy is that story focus is easily lost. I want to build a structure within which this is less likely to happen. Also, as a character myself and narrator, I have a lot of control about how scenes are interpreted.

At any rate, the use of title cards as "scene holders" strikes me as a technique others may have used and, if so, what else is in your bag of tricks to help keep the story on track?
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks