They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Vacation or event video idea

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Vacation or event video idea

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am

We went on vacation with our daughter and her friend. The girls went their own way during the day and we met up before dinner each night. (We did see them or their stuff was in the chair next to us at the pool.)

Before we went to dinner, I took about 10 min to record a video diary with the girls on that day's activities. Some of the events they participated I did have video or photos. But, them retelling the story behind the story made it special. Example: talking about the rain storm, the ping pong tournament, the water games, our trip into town, the dinner the night before, etc.

The video diary was 3x in one week and at first they were apprehensive, but they ended up enjoying recording.

I haven't edited yet, but thinking that during the interview have a photo or video PIP. The full screen version would be shown too in the project.

The video diary can be made for any type of events: Family reunion, trip to visit grandma, a day at the zoo, little league ball game, school event, graduation ceremony, birthday party, fishing trip, etc. Wish I would have thought of this 8 years ago when we got our camcorder.

The interview could be done at the end of the day while you are still at the location or right when you get home. Think it would be best when things are still fresh in the mind.

Like Steve says "editing starts before the camera leaves the bag" and "tell a story". When I am using my camcorder I hear Steve saying the last quote over and over. :-8

Please share your vacation video ideas too.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Vacation or event video idea

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:50 am

Excellent tips, Cheryl!

I definitely try to get some interviewing in while the events are still fresh in everyone's mind.

I'm always amazed how much we forget about our vacations, weddings and other adventures within a few days of returning home. In fact, I'm finding more and more that just about the ONLY things we remember about our great adventures has been the stuff I caught on video!

These little video diaries are definitely more valuable than we can know at the time we shoot them.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:12 am

Wow, what a great idea! I never thought of doing that. Having a PIP while the person does a video narration is brilliant. I'll keep that in mind moving forward, especially with a beach vacation a few weeks away.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:23 am

Much can be learned by watching the techniques used in reality shows -- the interviews, the cutaways, the music, the reaction shots.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rusty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 am

I agree. It seems so obvious, but I've never thought of it before. We're always so busy trying to get the perfect shots of the actual events! Steve, it happens that just a few days ago I was thinking about what you said - we often say that we remember the vacation or other event so well, but in fact what we remember is the video itself and not much else. We have that little movie on the screen playing in our heads as the "memory". I guess it means that the more thoughts, details and observations we can capture at the time, the richer the memories...or, at least, the memories of the memories...will be.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks