They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Easy solution to convert HD .mpeg files to .m2t files.

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Easy solution to convert HD .mpeg files to .m2t files.

Postby Gerlinde » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I don't know if this is a known fact or if it might be useful for someone else, but I thought I share it.

I use 3 different video editors and the biggest problem is always to transfer files from one application to the other without having to do too much reprocessing. My favorite is of course PE7, and then I use also Magix MEP16 and Pinnacle Studio 14.
My work flow is to capture with PE from my Canon HV30 in HD, and then use any of the other two programs to do something with my footage.

This is no problem with MEP16, because it imports the files created by PE, but Studio 14 rejects those as unknown file type. Studio supposedly should be able to handle .mpeg files, but according to their customer service, these are not the right type of .mpeg files. To get around this problem, I decided to use Studio to capture and that seemed to solve the compatibility problem.

It creates .m2v files which are accepted by PE as well as MEP16. But then I discovered, after having done hours worth of editing, that the sound was missing ](*,) #-o . I missed importing the wave file for the .m2v file, not knowing they come as separate files.
Very frustrating :pull:

My solution to this was, to capture as before with PE and either export as .m2t file from there or use MEP to convert to a hd.mpeg file that Studio liked.

But just a couple of days ago I realized, there may be an easier and faster solution to that. I used a short PE captured .mpeg file and changed the extension to .m2t and sure enough Studio opens now this file without a hiccup. :yh:
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Re: Easy solution to convert HD .mpeg files to .m2t files.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Very nice solution, Gerlinde!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Easy solution to convert HD .mpeg files to .m2t files.

Postby momoffduty » Sat May 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Gerlinde, glad you got it all sorted out and have a good work flow now. Thanks for posting the tip!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Tips and Tricks