They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fix Stabilized video from Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Fix Stabilized video from Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue May 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate now has a stabilizer effect that uses the routines from the stabilizer effect used in Avid Liquid product. Unfortunately, interlaced source footage such as DV-AVI that is stabilized comes out with the upper and lower fields messed up. I don't think I was able to convince Fleto at Pinnacle technical support. You won't notice it in the Studio editing workspace. To see the full effect you need to play back a DVD on a standard interlaced TV, although video with a lot of detail shows the problem just playing back in Windows Media Player.

To fix the files exported from Studio 14 and to compare the before and after, you can use VirtualDubMod and apply the Field Swap filter and the Reverse Field Dominance 1.0 filter by Donald Graft. The Reverse Field Dominance filter is a separate download. http://neuron2.net/reverse/reverse10.zip

VirutalDubMod direct download: http://www.videohelp.com/download/Virtu ... _b2550.zip

The order of the filters is important, but you will have to try both orders to see which way is the correct order. Usually it's Field Swap first and RFD second.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Fix Stabilized video from Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 31, 2010 12:56 am

For some inexplicable reason, when I recently replaced my old CRT monitor with a LED 1920x1080p monitor, the stabilize effect began working correctly. I had uninstalled Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate before replacing the monitor, and then installed it again afterwards. Now I don't need to use VirtualDub with the Field Swap and RFD filters to correct the mixed up fields. How can that be?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Mon May 31, 2010 4:38 am

How did you determine the fields are no longer mixed up? With software or viewing? The LCD monitor will not be interlaced.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 31, 2010 12:08 pm

Oops. The fields are still messed up afterall.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks