They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How can I turn off processes that run after I exit PrEl 8?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

How can I turn off processes that run after I exit PrEl 8?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 am

Ozpeter, from the Adobe forum, has written a great little utility that ensures that Premiere Elements 8 won't keep background resources running after you edit the program. This utility automatically launches Premiere Elements 8 when you start it, so I've set up my desktop shortcut for Premiere Elements 8 to just start up this program.

"PE8 Runner" is a small utility which...

- Asks you whether you want to run Premiere Elements 8.0 with or without the welcome screen

- Checks after you close the program whether it really has closed, or whether its process is still running

- Asks you whether you want to terminate the unclosed process (so you don't have to use Windows Task Manager to do it).

INSTALLATION
None. You can run PE8 Runner.exe from anywhere on your PC. But it assumes you have Premiere Elements installed in the default location (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0)

USE
Run PE8 Runner.
Answer yes or no to the question about using the welcome screen. (If you choose not to use the welcome screen you will go straight to the program and then you must open or create a project using the normal menu).

Use Premiere Elements 8 as normal.

After you close Premiere Elements 8, about 10 or 20 seconds afterwards you may see a window pop up telling you that the Premiere Elements process
is still running (and using your PC's resources), and asking you if you want to terminate the process. Unless you are in fact still using the program, answer "yes".

LIABILITY
The author (me) has developed and tested the program on a virus-protected system using Windows XP SP3. Every precaution has been taken to ensure that
it is reliable, but it's up to you to choose whether to use it or not, and the author accepts no responsibility for the outcome. Please test it on an unimportant project before using it on something real.

Download link http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/ ... Runner.zip - it's a small download. Source code is included.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: How can I turn off processes that run after I exit PrEl 8?

Postby michaelhoffman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:28 am

Hi Steve,
Thank you for providing the information on Premiere Elements 8. I am newbie and I have just join today itself. While I was going through the forum, I read your comment which you have posted almost a month before. I had a glimpse about the Premiere Elements 8. You information helped me to get the exact details about PE8. Honestly speaking, I am not much into hardware and software. Though the information which I have downloaded from your comment will not go into vain. I have few of my friends who are highly into software. They are always looking for some new updates. I don't know whether they are knowing about this aspect still I am going to share with them all of the aspects which you have mention. Hope you will always keep us updated. Thanks. Cheers.
michaelhoffman
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:18 am

Hello Michael and welcome to muvipix. :meet:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks, Michael! By all means spread the good word!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tips and Tricks