They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My Experience with Square Trade Warranty on an ebay Purchase

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

My Experience with Square Trade Warranty on an ebay Purchase

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm

I purchased a desktop computer on ebay about a year ago. Soon after, I received an email from Square Trade which offered to protect my $745 purchase for 4 years for $134. The warranty stated that, if Square Trade could not repair the computer on my premises within 5 days, the company would refund the entire purchase price.

The unit failed after about a year of heavy use. When I described the problem over the phone to a Square Trade rep, he informed me that a technician would call me back shortly. The tech's analysis was that my video card had failed for sure and perhaps my motherboard. He advised me that I would receive the parts in the mail and that, once I had received them, a tech would come to my home to install them.

While I was waiting to receive the parts, a rep from the tech's office called me every day to ascertain their status.

The day after I received the parts, a tech came to my home and installed the video card--a better one, I should add, than the one that had failed (NVIDIA 9500 with 1GB memory). Upon discovering that the motherboard also needed replacement, the tech asked whether he could take the computer back to his facility to complete the repair. I agreed, and he returned in 2 days, as promised, with a functioning unit.

According to the tech, the unit will continue to be fully covered for 3 more years.

I asked what the cost would have been without the warranty. He replied, "about $150 for the motherboard and $150 for the video card plus $50 labor, for a total of $350."

I've joined what appears to be a long list of satisfied Square Trade customers.

:TU:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: My Experience with Square Trade Warranty on an ebay Purchase

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:27 pm

It sounds like you got the better part of that deal, George. Though, personally, I'd prefer just a standard warranty and a computer that didn't blow out its motherboard after just one year! ;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:It sounds like you got the better part of that deal, George. Though, personally, I'd prefer just a standard warranty and a computer that didn't blow out its motherboard after just one year! ;)

Steve, this particular unit is the one that I bring with me on my travels. The problem occurred after using it in another country where there may have been a problem with the power.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Sounds like you got a great deal George and that you are dealing with a very reputable company :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:35 am

It certainly does! And thanks for sharing your good experience.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Sounds like... you are dealing with a very reputable company :)

Yes, Chuck, it was a very satisfying experience, so I wanted to share it with those members who make ebay purchases.

BTW, according to Consumer Reports magazine, extended warranties are not worth buying, however, I have used nearly all that I've bought, including one for a monitor: The internal powered hub failed, and it could not be repaired, so I was given a replacement that was new-in-the-box.

=D>
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks