They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

converting avi

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

converting avi

Postby Jayell » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I’m trying to remember everything you’ve taught me, but some of it is starting to slip away. :drunken:
I’ve downloaded a youtube video into windows avi format. I recall that I really want it in DV-AVI. So I took it into Moviemaker, but as soon as I drag it onto the timeline, I lose the sound (the sound plays fine before dragging to the timeline). I converted it anyway, but no sound.
So if I take it into PrEl2, the sound is fine. If I save to an avi in there, have I accomplished anything at that point? And if I leave it in it's present format, what do I lose?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: converting avi

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Jayell wrote:So if I take it into PrEl2, the sound is fine. If I save to an avi in there, have I accomplished anything at that point?

If you export your youtube movie from the PE2.0 time line you will get an DV-AVI file. You accomplish that.

Jayell wrote:And if I leave it in it's present format, what do I lose?

When you bring it onto your time line, do you get the red line? If you do then then its not a DV-AVI.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Jayell wrote:And if I leave it in it's present format, what do I lose?

When you bring it onto your time line, do you get the red line? If you do then then its not a DV-AVI.[/quote]
I'm aware it is NOT a dv-avi .. that's the point of my questions :-D. But what I'm wondering is if the quality is poorer .. or just that the file has to be rendered and may be more cumbersome to work with.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Jayell wrote:But what I'm wondering is if the quality is poorer .. or just that the file has to be rendered and may be more cumbersome to work with.

If you can edit youtube video as is with no problems in PE2.0 go right ahead.
Converting it to DV-AVI with out re compressing and then editing will not give it much of a degradation but only your eyes can tell. :-8

I hope I understood you correctly.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks, Richard. Yes, you appear to understand the question I had.
By the way, when I converted from a wmv to dv-avi in Movie Maker, it still comes in with the red line. When I do the conversion to avi in PE2, it does NOT. Interesting. It's just that I'm working with some poor quality videos and am trying to remember if one method or another creates better quality .. until I have some time to experiment.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:05 pm

One thing to consider is that WMM only will Export as a DV-AVI Type I, and not a Type II. Why MS insists on this is anybody's guess, but I would venture that it has to do with some confab with the RIAA and not wanting one to have longer Duration Videos - however, I believe in a lot of conspiricies...

Now, I use DigitalMedia Converter, http://www.deskshare.com, to do all of my conversions. It does convert to DV-AVI Type II files with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. These files Import with green lines, and edit beautifully.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 am

Or for a free DV-AVI convertor try Prism. You can also buy an upgrade to give you more features if you feel you need them. But for basic conversion it works great.
http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 am

Bill, Paul - thanks! I'll look at both programs (I do like free). :-D I've used vixy.net in the past, but after several attempts yesterday it converted to avi without any sound .. so I ended up using an online service I found in a rush which had lots of pop-ups and other bad looking things.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:28 pm

The program that Paul_LS mentioned, Prism, gets a ton of good reviews on the Adobe PrE forum. I've not tried it, but if my choice goes south, or starts mucking up conversions, I certainly will.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Several reviews suggested it contained viruses .. but I virus checked it before and after and haven't seen any problems. It does convert wmvs and flvs to avi .. I've done several already .. but it still has to be rendered (has the red line, not the green) :(
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:40 pm

It shouldn't have any line above it when imported as it is a DV-AVI. Did you select the correct video compressor? For Output Format select .avi and then for Encoder Options, in Video Compressor select DV Encoder NTSC (DirectShow).
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Paul LS wrote:It shouldn't have any line above it when imported as it is a DV-AVI. Did you select the correct video compressor? For Output Format select .avi and then for Encoder Options, in Video Compressor select DV Encoder NTSC (DirectShow).

I was wondering if I hadn't missed something. Just tried it 'your' way. Wow .. isn't it amazing how much better stuff works when you do it right? :yh:
Thanks, Paul
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks