They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Track Matte Help

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Track Matte Help

Postby Bobby » Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 am

Have I run across one of the Track Matte bugs?

All I want to do is show some stills against one of the moving backgrounds. But I want the still to be in a window and still see the background around the edges (framed by the background). The problem is that I want to zoom and pan the still (i.e. change scale and position).

OK. So I set the background on track 1 and the still on track 2. I then created a title on track 3 with a white rectangle the size of the window I want, set the Track Matte effect on track 2 (selecting track 3 as the matte).

It seems to work OK at the start. But when I change the scale and position properties of track 2 (the image), it looks like the matte changes scale and position too! The net effect is that the image, cropped in effect by the track matte, just shrinks. The image stays the same (i.e. I see the same percentage of the image), just scaled smaller. It looks like the scale is being applied to the matte title, not the image.

Am I doing something wrong, or did I hit one of the Track matte bugs?

Thanks for the help. My poor addled brain is in trouble right now - overloaded with town stuff - we are in the middle of setting the budget for next year!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Track Matte Help

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 am

I will try to check this out this weekend Bobby, hopefully someone else will have time to get to it before that 8-[
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri May 15, 2009 11:21 am

I found an entry on the Adobe forums that says that when you use the track matte the two clips are "linked" together, such that changes to scale, etc. are applied to both and there is no way to unlock it.

There was a suggestion to use duplicate tracks (one not having the track matte property) and apply the scaling to that one. I will experiment.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 15, 2009 11:34 am

This may be what you want:

Still image on track 1.
Background on track 2.
Title with white square on track 3.
Put track matte key effect on the background on track 2.
On the track matte key effect, set track 3, and tick the Invert checkbox.

Now you can resize the still image on track 1 without the track matte resizing as well.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Fri May 15, 2009 11:47 am

You're not doing anything wrong, and it's not a bug. That's just the way that track matte key works. The matte and the source are linked in the effect. Goes back to the days of the traveling matte where film was sandwiched together and optically composited.

For what you want, the easiest way in Premiere Elements is punch a hole in the motion background and view the still through the hole using the techinque RJ describes. Alternately, you could output a pan and zoomed sequence and use that sequence for the PIP.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Fri May 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks Bob and RJ - a different perspective always helps!

RJ, your technique worked fine. Just punch a hole in the background, rather than trying to mask the image itself. There were some other very minor issues, but I was able to get what I want.

Bob I thought of creating a panned and zoomed sequence, but I would have to do that for a number of shots, so not practical.

Back to work now!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri May 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Bobby wrote:Bob I thought of creating a panned and zoomed sequence, but I would have to do that for a number of shots, so not practical.Back to work now!

That's where Premiere Pro's nested sequences would come in handy. No hassle having to export and import.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat May 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Another pet peeve of mine...can't zoom with a track matte. So..make a frame as your matte on track 2 and motion background on track 1w/track matte applied pointing at track 2....save this as an AVI w/transparency. Now use the AVI in your project on track 2 and your pic/video on 1 and zoom away. An option would be to export step 2 as an AVI and bring that into a third project. Bob, is correct that nested seq. in Pro eliminates the need to export.

*Frame needs to fit the whole screen. You can adjust the AVI frame file later.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Tips and Tricks