They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating a Flipping Book With a Great Page Turn

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Re: Creating a Flipping Book With a Great Page Turn

Postby slushparlor1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi everyone:

Ever since my calendar question I've been trying to create the book with the pages. I need some advice if possible as to what I might be doing right and/or wrong.

I found a book graphic (I think it's the same one :) and I created my pages in photoshop.

Page 2 is 50% cropped to right
Page 4 is 50% cropped to right

Page 3 is 50% cropped to left
Page 5 is 50% cropped to left.

I have the pages lined up on the timeline. I'm not sure from the directions above what to do when it says replace page 3 with 4. Where does page three go? I'm attaching a screenshot so you can see how I have set this up. Hopefully the titles are not on the wrong pages.

I've applied 3d and swiveled 0 to 90 for page three (does it matter what increments you keyframe in?)
I've applied 3d and swiveled -90 to 0 for page four. Something is not right. I thought if I posted someone might be able to help?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 am

Hope this helps. PM me if more info needed. (As an aside, seems like we have all used the same book)

You only need the book and two pages, a left hand page and a right hand page. The key is to do all of the 'extract' work on the pages in PS or PSE and then save the page(s), otherwise the page turn doesn't work as the 'rotation point' (can't remember offhand what it is properly called) will move.

If you want to apply an image to the page do this also in PS or PSE, that way the page and image will turn at the same rate.

Then all you have to do is turn the RH page from 'flat' to 90 degrees vertical, when vertical swap to the vertical LH page image and complete the turn to the left until the page is 'flat'. Once you have it working OK you can copy and paste the keyframes/properties for all other page movements.

For some reason I couldn't see all of your screenshots so can't help much beyond this, but the Chris B instructions should work. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:56 am

This may prove useful. It shows the clips on the timeline. It is the original article.
http://www.chuckengels.com/articles/pageturn.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby slushparlor1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Thank you both! I'm going to try and work on this and I'll let you know my results! :-D
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby slushparlor1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi everyone:

I feel like the kid in class that's not getting it. So I'm raising my hand and hoping that "there are no dumb questions"! I'm still working on the book flip and I was hoping that if I uploaded a small clip of what I've done - someone might be able to tell me what I am doing wrong. I have the famous "book" .jpg and I created some pages in Photoshop. I brought the first page in (a photo of my mom with my daughter) and now I just want it to turn.

On video track one I have the book .jpg.
On video track two I have a .jpg of my mom and daughter on the right hand side of the book. I put basic 3D in and keyframed 0 and then 90
On the same video track (two) I have a .jpg on the right hand side of the book. I put basic 3D in and keyframed -90 and then 0.

It turns but it's not lining up correctly. Any thoughts or helpful hints? Thanks so much (as usual) Theresa ](*,)

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... stbook.wmv

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... stbook.wmv
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Chris B's Tutorial wrote:Page 2 should be placed on the book and cropped (50% right) to fit on
the page. Likewise page 5 except cropped 50% left. Page 3 is cropped
as page 5. Apply "Basic 3d" to page 3 and keyframe "Swivel" from 0 to
90. Then replace page 3 with page 4 on the timeline and keyframe from
-90 to 0. Rinse and repeat. Once you have one page tunred you can
"paste attributes" to the appropriate other pages to save a lot of time.

Did you keyframe the Swivel from 0 to 90?

I am working on a tutorial for this and will be testing the Corner Pin as another method, but haven't gotten to far with this yet.
As you can tell in your clip the edge does not stay at the center, the whole image does. After the turn the image is centered, it should be on the left with the page edge centered. That is why I am thinking you did not keyframe the 'Swivel' as the instructions say. It is also possible that you did not set the anchor point, I don't see that in the instructions. The anchor point would be the left edge of the page anchored to the book center. Hopefully Chris will stop by and give us a hand here :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:52 am

You need three images.

One - the book itself. In PSE extract to a transparent background the RH page. Do the same for the LH page. Now you have three images in total.

On the RH page image in PSE drag the photo that you want to use, scale the photo image as required. Now merge the layers.

Place the book on the lowest track; RH page on the next track up, scaled as necessary (I find it useful to have the pages very marginally smaller than the book image); LH page on the next track, scaled.

Now apply the Basic 3D motion effect to the RH page. When the RH page is vertical (and will have disapperared because you are viewing it edge on) apply the effect to the LH page. starting with it in the vertical position (and so edge on and invisible) and turn the page until it lies flat on the LH side of the book.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby slushparlor1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 am

Just me again...... I'm almost there I can feel it but still a bit stuck.
I have three images now book (on video line 1) page 3 (on video line 2) and page 4 (on video line 3).

I have page 3 on the right hand side.
Swivel starts at 0 and I keyframe to 90
tilt is 0
Distance to image is 0
Anchor point is at 0 here? I'm not sure about that one.

The page turns vertically but does not line up with the center of the book.

I have page 4 on the left hand side. I put this page after page 3 on the timeline above.

Swivel starts at -90 and I keyframe to 0
tilt is 0
Distance to image is 0
Anchor point is at 0 here? I'm not sure about that one.

I appreciate both your help. Good thing mom's birthday isn't until May and I started this early :lol:
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:24 am

As the page moves then you may need to adjust the other keyframes to keep it lined up with the center of the book.
I will try to get this tutorial done in the next week or two and get it out with the Anniversary New Stuff :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 pm

You can not change the swivel point...one of my pet peeves. Try this to get the basics and then you can change later to fine tune:

Put picture A on any track and move to the right. Place the background page pic below & this background page is the whole screen. If you click on the safe margins you can see the center of the screen. Move the picture A where the left side of the pic is on the center line. Use the work area bar to save this 5 sec pic as a DV-AVI

Put picture B on any track and move to the left. Same as above only opposite. Again, save as a DV-AVI

Now use those AVIs to place on your pages and swivel.

To save a segment as a DV-AVI:

Place the Work area bar over the segment you are saving.

File>Export>Movie

Select DV-AVI (should be the default)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Creating a Flipping Book With a Great Page Turn

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Don't forget to apply the Crop effect to the page. Don't crop the page image in Photoshop Elements. You need the photo to be the size of the video frame with the page image on one side with one edge lined up exactly in the center of the photo. That way, after the Crop Effect is applied, the edge will be in the center of the frame. Then, when you apply the Basic 3D effect it will pivot properly. If you have it set up properly, you only need to keyframe the swivel.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Good thinking Bob on the crop. Just now remembered this. I make my page turns different than these instructions.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Here are a few pics to help. On steps 3 & 4 the background page is pink so that you can see the other pages. Hopefully they are attached in order, if not scroll down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:54 pm

One more thought: In step 1 & 2 you would want the pic to be in the center of the left or right sides. This would give a white page border around. The example I posted was to demonstrate that the axis of swivel is always in the center of a file.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby slushparlor1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:50 pm

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU.

John
Chuck
Cheryl
Bob

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

It worked. My problem (or one of them) was that when I was making the pages in PSE I was just creating a half page and not a whole page with half a picture on it. As a result the picture was not turning the right way. Cheryl you were right on about the safe margins and the screenshots were awesome. I was able to set up the pictures and get them right in the middle. John, your screen shots were invaluable because I could see all the pictures and settings. Chuck and bob, all your advice as always was great. I'm so glad I can do this. I want a part of my mothers video to have her grandkids on the book with the turning pages. Now I'll be able to do it. I'm so energized I think I can take on the calendar page and set that up at the beginning.

I love this forum because no one lets you give up. Another topic I was talking about was transitions Beth has given encouragement to try the track matte stuff (although I haven't done that).

Thanks my friends, always learning something new with this site and everyone is always so helpful!!!

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks