They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Embedding a Flash Video Player?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Embedding a Flash Video Player?

Postby michaelb » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm new to this forum, so unfortunatly will ask some rookie questions...
I would like to put some video clips on my web site and would like for my viewers to be able to just click on the clip and have the video play... without going through YouTube if possible... I heard Steve talk about Embedding a Flash Video Player in a personal web site... How would I go about doing this??

Thanks
Michaelb
michaelb
New User
New User

Re: Embedding a Flash Video Player?

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi Michael, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

If you want the video to play on your website you will need a player no matter what format the video is, WMV, MOV or FLV.
You can embed a player in the code, WMV is easy not sure about the others.

Ron can probably give you a hand and he should be along soon.

Links to WMV or MOV files will open the videos in Windows Media Player or QuickTime on the users computer, that would be the easiest solution and requires no player on your part.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi MichaelB,

As Chuck alluded to, WMV would probably be your best option as embedding FLVs gets a little involved and to fully support it, it would behoove you to have one of the latest versions of Flash. Depending on how experienced you are with HTML, I can give you basic instructions on how to get WMVs embedded. Let me know how comfortable you are with that.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby michaelb » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Ron,

That would be great, what ever you think the best direction for me to take!! So, I would need to save the video clip to my computer as Windows Media to upload to my web site? I am some what familiar with HTML...

michaelb
michaelb
New User
New User

Postby Ron » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:52 am

OK, where ever you want your video embedded, insert the following code:

<object id="MMPlayer1" classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..." type="application/x-mplayer2" width="320" height="285">
<param name="src" value="YOUR.wmv" />
<param name="ShowControls" value="1" />
<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="1" />
<param name="ShowDisplay" value="0" />
<param name="DisplaySize" value="0" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="autostart" value="true" />
<embed width="320" height="285" src="YOUR.wmv" allowFullScreen="true" autostart="true" type="application/x-mplayer2" ></embed></object>

Replacing 'YOUR.wmv (twice - support for IE and FF) with the name of your video. You can play around with the different values to get the exact look/feature that you want. There are many optional parameters, but I've found that this is the tried and true method that will play fine in most browsers.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sbfowler » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 am

Another option might be to use Wordpress. (from http://wordpress.org/) Although it is blogging software, there are many different themes available and it should be possible to achieve the format you are looking for. Within wordpress there are plugins that allow you to easily embed flash video within your web site (no coding is necessary). The administrative control panel is quite user friendly. For example, I use a plugin called 'wordtube' and embedding flash video is quite easy.
sbfowler
New User
New User

Postby brenda » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:12 pm

I want to embed a flash video player on my website. Earlier in this thread, Chuck explained how to embed a WMV player, but I'd rather export the files to flv than wmv. Any tips on how to do this?

My friend who is helping design my website was able to convert the flv to a swf file, and that allowed it to play, but it is horribly pixelated (probably because she converted my flv into a swf.) Do you know a decent converter program that goes directly from an avi to swf?

Brenda
brenda

Postby ed » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:47 pm

If your looking for free try the JW media player http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/
If not you need to buy the latest iteration of Flash.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby brenda » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks!!!!

Brenda
brenda

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 pm

A friend of mine is using the JW player in his new business.
He is very impressed with it and has been making some modifications.
It is in use at a number of web sites including my church.

Here is his info
http://visioncastmedia.com
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doreen L. » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Brenda,

What software are you using to design your web site? There may well be something right in the program.

Doreen
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks