They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Preparing footage for broadcast

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Preparing footage for broadcast

Postby StuOS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello all,

I may have an opportunity in a few months to get a documentary onto PBS. Having said that, I've never done anything (other than commercials) for broadcast before, and I'm aware that broadcast standards (and especially PBS standards) allow nothing over 100 IRE and also have color saturation rules. Having been in the field shooting quite a bit, I know that it's pretty impractical to shoot some scenes without going over the 100 IRE zebra either as hot spots or, in some cases, to get proper exposure on a dimly lit foreground.

Is there some post application that will adjust any problems with light and color saturation? If so, what are the drawbacks of going that route, and are there any ideas anyone has for how to deal with this issue.

Thanks a lot!
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Preparing footage for broadcast

Postby StuOS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:01 am

Well, THAT question got a huge response.

Is it my breath?
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 am

Hi Stu! Usually, responses on this forum take less than 30 minutes. Phenomenal, actually. Perhaps folks here are waiting for someone with actual broadcast video experience to respond first. Most folks here are not broadcast professionals and, although quite knowledgeable, you might want to ask for pro experience on a more pro oriented forum such as DVInfo or Creative COW.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/
http://forums.creativecow.net/

My stab at your question? The pro versions of Sony and Adobe video editors have built-in waveform monitors and vectorscopes which may help you adjust your signal excursions within broadcast requirements. However, in my limited experience, they cannot be absolutely relied upon because they are not part of a true reference calibrated system. Restating somewhat, can you guarantee that 100 IRE is really 100 IRE unless a precision calibration reference is used to adjust the measurement system?

Perhaps these applications are "close enough" but we will both have to wait for someone with the proper broadcast experience to set us straight.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:33 am

I also did as much research as I could, Stu, and found the same information on the waveform display -- but that's a pretty high-level question!

It's one thing to see IRE, quite another to know how to trim it.

So I hope you won't judge our Muvipix people on response to that killer question. We still love you, man!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby StuOS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 am

Good Lord! I'm not judging anyone. I was just trying to find a humorous way to get some response. :oops:

I appreciate what both of you have said, and I'll go to a different forum to get more detail. I suppose I'm really looking for a silver bullet, here, and one that won't screw up the look of the final product. And I don't want to buy expensive equipment to get this done :shock:

Thanks to both.
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 am

I know there are some broadcast folks that belong to this forum, they will respond eventually.
Those people are not on the forum as much as some of us are, so it might take a week to get an answer on this technical of a question.
I would think that someone will be able to help, but it will probably take a little longer. Until then we can keep bumping the topic to keep it active and at the top.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:26 pm

For a low cost solution I would suggest VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod. There are several plugins out there for these free video editing applications that can display and adjust the signal levels - total and RGB or YUV. The Levels filter is well known and the ColorTools filter is a tweakers dream. ColorMill and the HSI filter - just looking through some of the printouts I have posting in a notebook here. Still no guarantee of absolute levels but I'll bet you can get close. I will point out more resources if this track is interesting to you.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby StuOS » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks, Ken. You know, I don't mind spending a little money on software, I suppose, since this project would pay pretty well. I just don't want to add a lot of hardware if I can avoid it, but if hardware is the way to go, then ...

I'll check to see if I can test those titles without buying them right out.

Thanks again.
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby DonP » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 pm

In order for the documentary to be broadcast it will have to be "Bumped Up" to a broadcast format (i.e. Betacam etc) . Any pro dubbing company can adjust all the necessary levels to make it conform to broadcast standards, The actual quality of the video is pretty well limited to what is on your edited package, I'm assuming its on Mini DV. We've transferred Mini DV to Betacam many times , adjusting the levels in the proc amp of a frame storer with very good results. This way the sync is also re-generated to conform to broadcast standards . Maybe the broadcast outlet you're dealing with can do the dub for you. Don't be intimidated by "broadcasters" , if the content of your production is good and or unique... they'll be happy to have it.....especially if the price is right.
DonP

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks Don, that is great information :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DonP » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Hope it helps Chuck
DonP

Return to Tips and Tricks