They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ken Burns effect question?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Ken Burns effect question?

Postby kelvindodd » Fri May 11, 2007 9:10 am

I love using the KB effect on stills, especially SLOW zooms in/out to create more effect.

My question is, are there any 'rules of thumb' when using the effect? Reason I'm asking is I'm never quite sure if I should be zooming in verses zooming out on a picture. I try to mix the effects up, so its not the same on every picture...but not sure it things should be more consistant.

I imagine its mostly up to artistic expression, but can anyone share their experience? Thanks!
kelvindodd
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Fri May 11, 2007 9:47 am

Whenever panning and zooming, in or out. my only advice would be to keep it minimal... not fast long pans but slow/smooth short pans... I have felt motion sickness watching some folks pans and zooms.. :oops:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 11, 2007 9:55 am

I completely agree with Paul.

One thing that always seems to work well is to start with the subject out of the shot and pan to include the subject, like Paul said though short and slow is best. I have been guilty of the long pans myself at times but it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how it fits with the narration or music.

The best advice I can give you is to purchase any of the Ken Burns documentaries and watch it a few times, he is the master.

There are some great examples here
http://www.chuckengels.com/PremierVideo/index.html
Steve's Mom and Dad video is a good example and my Crystal video may give you some ideas.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 11, 2007 6:04 pm

I like the way Microsoft PhotoStory 3 does the pans and zooms. They might do two stills where they zoom in, but then they follow that with two stills where they zoom out. They balance the directions. Pan to the left on this one and pan to the right on the next one. Zooms and pans are slow. They even have music to go with it. I guess you could create a "dummy" slideshow of a certain length in Photostory and then borrow the audio for use in Premiere Elements.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby KevinP » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:51 pm

I agree with Paul and Chuck. I am working on a DVD for my son's taekwondo black belt ceremony. It include many stills of kids throughout all their belt ranks. I found that the pan and zoom was a great way to direct the viewer's attention to exactly where you want their focus.

Look at each photo and decide what the most important focus point should be. Start with that point off center and then pan and zoom to bring that point to the center of the screen. Remember that the further off center you start and the more you zoom the faster it will appear. Slow and smooth has a better effect.

I also look at the direction the subject is facing and the camera position relative to the subject. When the pan and zoom follows a natural path to the subject it is more effective. For example if the subject is below the camera facing to the right then I will start the subject in the lower left. The pan and zoom should bring the subject up and to the right to reach center (or close to it). The effect will be that you, the viewer, are moving from above right to lower left.... a natural path to the subject.

It doesn't take much movement for the viewer's eyes and brain to "fill in" movement that isn't even there.
KevinP
New User
New User

Return to Tips and Tricks