They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video Do's and Don'ts

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Postby Jayell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:08 pm

rustysterling wrote:Too much zooming in and out is distracting and detracts from the story.

That's probably true in many cases .. but an interesting tip .. I've found that when no tripod is available, zooming in or out (if it's well done) actually keeps the viewer from being aware that the videographers hands are not as steady as they used to be :-D. And in my case, we're usually shooting casual outdoor flowers, animals, and scenery, so the 'story' isn't as critical.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rustysterling » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Here's one that a former editor use to hammer at me all the time when I was shooting for newspapers: When you think you're close enough get closer.

This applies to videography as well, especially ENG.

When I was shooting news, when I'd arrive at a news scene I'd start shooting with a short lens and keep getting closer. Then I'd switch to a long length lens and keep getting closer. When I was practically on top of the scene I'd switch between a short lens and a zoom to get a good mixture of shots.

(Bear in mind, I had three or four cameras handy with different lens. That's not easy to do with camcorders except by using the zoom effectively to get perspectives of short and long lenses.)

I've found that when no tripod is available, zooming in or out (if it's well done) actually keeps the viewer from being aware that the videographers hands are not as steady as they used to be

I agree. It's all about the subject matter. What I was referring to was footage that is constantly zooming in and out no matter the subject.

When I shot the footage of my step-daughter and later edited it, I'd use clips from the static camcorder whenever I was zooming in with the other camera and then cut to the other camcorder clips that was already zoomed in. A couple of times I left in a short amount of the zoom but usually as it was just about to end.

But I still believe that endless zooming in and out makes for dizzying video.
Abit IP35 Pro MoBo|Q6600 CPU GO 2.4Ghz|4x1G Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 RAM|WD Raptor 150GB HDD|(2) Seagate 320GB RAID 0|LG Blu-Ray/DVD R/RW|Pioneer DVD/CD R/RW|Vision Tek HD2600 Pro 512Mb|Windows XP Pro SP2|PC P&C PSU 610 Silencer|Cooler Master 690 case
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby William Tranter » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:28 am

The secret of a Steadicam is MASS - the more, the steadier the shot. A simple 3ft length of bar, with a lump of something heavy (a lump of lead?) on the bottom end and a 1/4" BSW thread on the top (on which to mount the camcorder) will give you the main part, and coming out of the bar at right angles, another 1/4" BSW thread about a quarter of the way down the main part. On this thread mount a small tripod (a tabletop model about 6" high is ideal!), and leave the clamp on the tripod loose.
Your arm is a perfectly good 'spring', and by holding the tripod as a handle, the rest of the 'steadicam' will always be vertical. The mass damps out all the jerks and jarring which happens as you move about.
OK, it's heavy, but that's the whole point.
All the best,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

DIY Steadycam

Postby sbfowler » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:14 am

Info about building a steadycam:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

I don't have one but this looks interesting
sbfowler
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 am

The sample videos look very good... I am off down to my local hardware store....
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:01 pm

I stumbled upon a website that gives the basic layout and how to build one on the cheap.

I have modified his design. After I got wrist fatigue from carrying the weight of the counterbalance, I switched to an inexpensive aluminum telescoping monopod. I attached the quick release mechanism from an old tripod to the bottom of the monopod, and then added a handle where the camera would normally mount to.

It is not perfect, but it adds an additional dimension to movies. I have the option of flying through the action and really capture a 360 angle.

Poor mans Steadycam:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 am

Chuck I tried to post a reply but it looks like it went to another thread.

Sidd
sidd finch

Previous

Return to Tips and Tricks