They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video: How to make tears flowing out from side of eyes ?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Video: How to make tears flowing out from side of eyes ?

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:15 am

Hi guys,

Need some ideas and suggestion here.

I am thinking of doing a video where there is a sad part. At this part, I intend to make the flow goes very slow and 75% of the screen will show my full face in deep thoughts. Then, together with a sad music starts and tears flow out slowly from the side of my eyes and drip on my check & lips. And as I blink my eyes, more tears flow down. (all without crying)

The thing is while I can filmed myself looking sad but I cannot make tears flow out from my eyes because I am not an actor.

Any suggested key-framing to make the tears flow ?

Any tips ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Video: How to make tears flowing out from side of eyes ?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:43 am

Well, Joey on "Friends" said he used to cut a hole in his pocket and, as he was performing a sad scene, take a pair of tweezers, slide his hand into his pocket and start pulling.

Some more traditional actors also used to use freshly sliced onion. Or eat a jalapeno.

But I think it's easier just to use eye drops.

Regardless, it's easier to do it when you shoot it than try to add it in post production.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:44 am

cut some onions? :)

Seriously, I think you would be disappointed with the results no matter how hard you try, unless you are willing to accept a cartoon or caricature look.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:32 am

Haha looks like there is no easy way out. I have to buy many bottles of eye drops !!
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:28 pm

Ryan,

You might have slightly better luck with glycerin, mixed with distilled water. You can usually get the glycerin from a pharmacy. Mix it with the distilled water to suit the consistancy that you want. Apply this to the area right by (not IN) the eye. The glycerin will increase the viscosity and surface tension of the water, so the "tears" flow much more slowly and also "stand up" a bit on the cheek. Be very careful that you do not squirt this into your eyes - nearby will be more than adequate. [Note: you do not ever want to put anything but 100% sterile liquids, designed specifically for use in the eye, into the eye - ever!]

For what you are talking about, I'd have someone apply these "tears" from a sterile eyedropper, also available from the pharmacy. This will allow you to keep your head stationary, so the tears appear to flow and you are not moving about too much.

I always have a bottle of glycerin for "beads of persperation, etc." in my kit. It also works well for changing the viscosity of poured liquids.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 am

Bill Hunt wrote:Ryan,

You might have slightly better luck with glycerin, mixed with distilled water. You can usually get the glycerin from a pharmacy. Mix it with the distilled water to suit the consistancy that you want. Apply this to the area right by (not IN) the eye. The glycerin will increase the viscosity and surface tension of the water, so the "tears" flow much more slowly and also "stand up" a bit on the cheek. Be very careful that you do not squirt this into your eyes - nearby will be more than adequate. [Note: you do not ever want to put anything but 100% sterile liquids, designed specifically for use in the eye, into the eye - ever!]

For what you are talking about, I'd have someone apply these "tears" from a sterile eyedropper, also available from the pharmacy. This will allow you to keep your head stationary, so the tears appear to flow and you are not moving about too much.

I always have a bottle of glycerin for "beads of persperation, etc." in my kit. It also works well for changing the viscosity of poured liquids.

Hunt

Thanks Bill, time to go to Phramacy to look for glycerin :-D
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby IRISH4U » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:22 pm

HI Ryan
Here's something that'll make a grown man cry, look at the taxes with held on your pay statement, does the trick for me everytime.

Dennis
HP XW8200, 2 3.4ghzHT Xeon's 4g ram Nvidia FX3450, External 1-500g 2-320g HD 1-120g HD, 1-DVD/CD burner (all 1394a), 1-Plextor TV-402U tuner/capture, Software-Prem. Elem. 2, 4, 7 Photoshop Elem. 4, 6, 7, AE 4
IRISH4U

Location: (winter) Orangeburg-Rockland Co., N.Y. (summer) Mountaindale-Sullivan Co. N.Y.

Return to Tips and Tricks