They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Organizing/Labeling MiniDV Tapes

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Organizing/Labeling MiniDV Tapes

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Hello all,

I've done a search with few (or no) results... so forgive me if this has been asked.

I'm just curious how many of you organize/sort/label your MiniDV tapes? Do you organize by date? Do you label by event(s)? Do you number them and then have a log/record somewhere else?

Any tips for a rookie, on how to keep your tapes organized... would be appreciated!
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Organizing/Labeling MiniDV Tapes

Postby Bobby » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 pm

I just go chronological. Each tape is labeled with the year, and the sequence number within that you - i.e. 2008-1, 2008-2, etc.

When I finish a tape or tape, I do a review of it and fill in a spreadsheet with the specifics scenes within the tape. Then later I go back and sometimes do a year "history" tape, sometimes get specific clips - it depends on the project I am trying to acheive.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks, Bob!

I like your idea about a spreadsheet... is it fairly simple? Just basically tape number and contents?
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:36 pm

The spreadsheet has two sheets. The first is tape number, type (VHS, Hi8, D8, HDV, etc.), dates (from, to), and then two columns for status and description. The description holds the comments about the individual clips on the tape, and status indicates which DVD that segment of the tape appears in. Each of the description entries is on a separate line and the status corresponds.

The second page is just the linear list of the DVDs generated. This page shows the DVD number, title, back reference to tape number(s), what editor was used to process it, and the input file backup status (where and to which external hard drive if so).

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Hmm, I think I understand.

If I PM you my email address, would you consider emailing me a blank spreadsheet? If it's in Excel, I can actually open it.

If you'd rather not do that, I completely understand! :)

In any case, thank you!
Ted
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:05 am

Sure Ted, I can "sanitize" a version for you, but it really isn't much at all.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:21 am

My labeling is similar, but I don't keep track of it on a spreadsheet. I probably should!

Basically, my tapes are labeled yyyy/mm-yyyy/mm. So they are chronological. I then take everything (probably overkill) and transfer it to my external hard drives and catalog them using PSE5. I do run the clips through a utility(DVDate) that will label each clip yyyy.mm.dd-hh.mm.ss, or something like that. This way if I ever need to go back to the original tape I know the year and month. Recently, this past May, I went through 4 MiniDV tapes in one month. I then sequentially ordered them like Bob e.g. 2008-May - May #1, #2, etc

Bob
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 am

My system is somewhat less methodical than the others. For clients I put the client's name, event name or description, date, and camera used: example "Acme Corp Summer Picnic 7-12-08 HV20". The camera is important - if I need to recapture it later I'll know whether it's DV or HDV. I won't put multiple events or different dates on a single tape for clients; even if there's only 20 minutes on it, that tape gets put away and I use a fresh one next time. When I capture, I name the files according to the tape "Acme Corp Summer Picnic 7-12-08 HV20 clip 01" etc.

For family stuff, I label them "Family" and put the date ranges that the tape covers, like "1-1-08 to 3-15-08".
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:39 am

I use the beginning date and the end date on the DV case. I also put what camera I used to capture and I also keep a running number of the tape. Then I write down a few highlights on the case. They are organized by date in 2 briefcases so in case of fire I have the opportunity to grab them quick. I have approx 300 tapes so this system works well.

I keep a spreadsheet to track my output so I can average out when and where I am most productive.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:03 am

Thank you for the ideas.

I had never thought to even have start dates and end dates on the same tape...but that makes perfect sense.

I also like Bob's idea of a spreadsheet system.

Somebody on another forum also shared this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 770&is=REG

which looks handy, but I'm so not there in terms of quantity!

Yet. :bounce:
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am

Actually, Ted, that's exactly the rack I use to store my tapes. I almost put a link to it in my previous post! It's very sturdy, and at only $15 to store 50 tapes it's fairly cost-effective as well. It has holes for wall-mounting, but I just keep mine in a nice cool dark drawer.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:08 pm

jackfalbey wrote:Actually, Ted, that's exactly the rack I use to store my tapes. I almost put a link to it in my previous post! It's very sturdy, and at only $15 to store 50 tapes it's fairly cost-effective as well. It has holes for wall-mounting, but I just keep mine in a nice cool dark drawer.

Yep, that's what I'd do as well, Jack. And it seems great in that it helps stop the tapes from jumbling around as I open/close the drawer. :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Clayton » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:48 am

I use a product called Scenalyzer http://www.scenalyzer.com/ to capture my tapes in a low-res format for index purpose. I splits all scenes and names them according to timecode. I then review and batch rename all clips of the same event. If you want you can merge similar clips into one. This index is saved on an external hard drive. I then enter the info ito a spreadsheet like Bob. I just name mine tape 1, tape 2 ( using the dates would be better). I list the name of a clip/subject/event or whatever into the spreadsheet with all sorts of info... tape number, clip names, with a colum for timecode start-finish and if it has been processed, where the final results are. These indexed clips are not the clips to be used for editing. When you get ready to edit insert tape to camera and using the index you tell it which clips you want to capture and where. This may be a little confusing, but it is an excellent program. It doesn't have to be used for indexing, just capture straight to preimere. I am sure others are familar with it. :-D
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks