They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transitions - over doing it?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Transitions - over doing it?

Postby chooks » Mon May 19, 2008 12:51 am

I notice that TV programs seem to use hardly any transitions. From watching, it seem to just go from one scene to the next, without anything. I like putting in transitions, as try to make it so its a smooth changeover to a new clip. But wonder if its over doing it, and should just be used sparingly?

Just thinking out loud :razz: hope the topic fits in here. Makes me wonder how the pro's operate.
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Transitions - over doing it?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon May 19, 2008 2:27 am

I think that - to a certain extent - it depends on your audience.

Some folk might really appreciate seeing a variety of transitions in material that they can relate to on a personal level (think, for example, wedding, birthday or other party, 'fun' event etc). Other folk might find it a bit twee (for example, corporate/documentary style videos).

Generally speaking, my preference is to use only straight cuts or a cross dissolve. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 19, 2008 2:45 am

99.9 % Straight cuts and cross dissolves for me too :)

The companies I do wedding videos for want cross dissolves between everything, the exception is a few straight cuts in some places, no other transitions however.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon May 19, 2008 5:23 am

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Professional movies and TV shows are generally trying to tell a story and, quite frankly, fancy transitions take the attention away from the story. Mostly I see straight, L, and J cuts. Other transitions are used sparingly where they are appropriate. Unless, of course, you are trying to be campy and cheesy (remember the Batman series with Adam West), then the sky's the limit.

Slide shows are another story. Still shots aren't video. Cuts from one slide to another endlessly will put your audience to sleep, or annoy the heck out of them. Transitions soften the sudden change and can lead to a more soothing and hopefully more interesting experience. You are still telling a story, and, you need to know what you are trying to accomplish. Serious shows -- formal wedding, photo journalism, documentaries, corporate -- are mainly going to be cross dissolves and/or straight cuts. Fun shows, "How I spent my summer vacation and ruined the economies of four countries in two weeks", can stand quite a bit of mixing up and that can convey some of the fun and excitement. Family video documentaries such as "Through the years -- Little Mickie grows up", can be over the top, wild, and fun, but "Memories of Grandma" should probably go back to cross dissolves and straight cuts.
Bob

Postby Gooder » Mon May 19, 2008 6:30 am

chooks wrote:Just thinking out loud :razz: hope the topic fits in here. Makes me wonder how the pro's operate.

I think we all agree on this topic!!!
Straight cuts and cross dissolves mixed in with pure video editing! :)

If you want to be seen as a pro, then please do follow the advice given. If I ever handed over a Wedding with those
"Cheese like effects" then I would be in serious trouble! :lol: Although, for other types of video then yes, go ahead and add what you think is needed but do it sparingly.

Also, most of the time effects are used to simply enhance the video. You are right on the mark with the word, sparingly! :)

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 am

I think I may be known around here as "Queen of the effects" but I too base it on my audience and the subject.

I do a lot of slideshows for parties and presentations and like soeone said, straight cuts and dissolves would put the audience to sleep so I jazz them up but when i do weddings I do limited fancy effects and transisitons (see my wedding edit contest entries).
I also do a lot of home movie editing for families and see a lot of lengthy shots of something like a child crawling, eating messy food or the like. Parents want a lot of the footage but also want something watchable so I do a lot of split screens and add fancy effects to make it "different". My business work doesn't require a lot of fancy stuff but does require a lot of discrimintating shot choices.

So again it depends on your audience. Also you might note some shows like Ugly Betty (campy) are doing some creative stuff, as do a lot of commercials. Funny thing is CNN (a serious news program) also does some interesting graphics effects type movement and ESPN is really into the fancy stuff. (a lot of this is After Effects graphic stuff and not necessarily just transitions.

My .02
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon May 19, 2008 11:27 am

I like to use 95% straight cut and dissolve and then 5% with an effect for video. Within that 5% I only use 2-3 transitions. Kind of like adding spices to food. Just enough to give it taste but not so much that it is over seasoned.

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Rockdoc » Mon May 19, 2008 11:29 am

I think you all make great points. The heavier, more dramatic subject matter does better with cross dissolves and straight cuts, and the lighter, faster paced stuff can benefit from well-chosen effects and transitions. I think Beth's work generally a great example of both of these principles. I felt that the effects and transitions she used in her "Apple Picking Story" contest entry added to the video, drawing the viewer from one scene to the next (and definitely deserved the grand prize). The key thing that Beth has a great feel for is knowing when not to overdo the effects.

The best way I have come up with is to ask myself each time I am tempted to throw in an effect or have to decide on a transition "What does this add to the video?". If the transition can help the viewer bridge to the next scene, then it is useful (like Beth's transition where the tractor drives into the previous clip and then expands to the whole picture - that was great!!). If I decide that the effect is not related to the subject or doesn't make a connection between the clips, I get rid of it.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gooder » Mon May 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Rockdoc wrote:I think you all make great points. The heavier, more dramatic subject matter does better with cross dissolves and straight cuts, and the lighter, faster paced stuff can benefit from well-chosen effects and transitions.

I couldn't agree with you more!!! :)

Rockdoc wrote: (and definitely deserved the grand prize)

I agree with that remark and I also liked the pure video editing aspect of it :)
Well done again, beth!

Rockdoc wrote:The best way I have come up with is to ask myself each time I am tempted to throw in an effect or have to decide on a transition "What does this add to the video?"

Exactly, you should always ask yourself "Does this effect enhance the video"?
Interesting to hear what we all have to say :)

Cheers
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 pm

When I did my first few videos, I used all the effects and thought it was really cool, but now nowing what I have learned, less is better. Luckily, the person I did the video for, didn't have a clue about editing and they were completely satisfied. I have to agree with what everyone has said here.
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 pm

ridon127 wrote:When I did my first few videos, I used all the effects and thought it was really cool, but now nowing what I have learned, less is better. Luckily, the person I did the video for, didn't have a clue about editing and they were completely satisfied. I have to agree with what everyone has said here.
Donna

I can relate to that Donna I've went back and looked at a lot of my earlier stuff. Just adding effects cause their cool was a "theme" back then. 8-[

Great discussion!
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Well if you don't need all of those effects and transitions then why do the software companies put them all in there any way :-k
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 pm

My last 2 video projects, a band concert & graduation. Used 99% cross dissolves. On the grad piece, I did use a clock wipe for the 5 short clips of the procession to show that it was not the whole length of the procession (20 min edited down to about 5 min.) The remainder video was cross dissolves. The family Christmas video was cross dissolves too.

Making a slideshow for teens with short attention spans would need a lot of effects versus a slideshow that was a memoriam or a family history piece.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Mon May 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Point taken Chuck, its the effects and transitions that I think draws people in. Whether they should be used or not... well that's why you have great topics of discussions like this one.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon May 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Well if you don't need all of those effects and transitions then why do the software companies put them all in there any way :-k

'Cause the consumer wants those flashy effects... Braggin' rights... We don't know what they want so we'll give them what we think they want... Our competitor puts them in so we have to put in even more to compete... The project team has Attention Deficit Disorder... The moon is in the third house of Aquarius... :lol:

Having lots of transitions and doo-dads isn't bad, using them all in the same slide show is another thing entirely. [-X
Bob

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks