They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Where do you put your downloads?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Where do you put your downloads?

Postby Cinde » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Last week I was feeling a bit under the weather. Since I could not get outside I decided to start installing software on my new Dell Computer (graphics dedicated and not internet connected). I had trouble finding a lot of my downloaded files on the older computer that I want to put on the new one.

I kept many of the original zip files in two download folders: One for “Muvipix” and one for “everything else”. For “everything else” I made a database similar to Clayton’s. Now I am trying to figure out from those little file names what each one does, where I got it from… etc. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the “everything else” mess cleaned up.

Without Clayton’s Muvipix database I would have been at a total loss. (Thanks again Clayton!) I found that I have downloaded relatively few of the available products. As I unzipped tips, tutorials, music and motion backgrounds, I put them in their own individual folders for future retrieval. To my horror I discovered that I do not have any DVD templates. I know I downloaded several, but must have deleted the zipped files after extracting and installing. So those zips are no longer available on my computer. Then I found the file I named “corrupted, download again”.

So here I sit late at night wondering how everyone else handles their downloaded, zipped, etc, files? Especially the Muvipix ones. What are your tips and tricks?
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Where do you put your downloads?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:01 am

There may be better ways but this works for me.

I use ReGet Pro to manage my downloads. All downloads from whatever source go to a 'Downloads' directory on my D: drive. Immediately after downloading I unzip the files (if necessary) before renaming them into something that makes sense and finally move them to an appropriately named directory.

So, using muvipix material as an example, after download and unzipping, my muvipix motion backgrounds are held in the following location:

D:/Muvipix Stuff/Motion Backgrounds

then each background has a meaningful filename

Blue kaleidascope Motion; Light Orange Motion; etc.

Like I said, not rocket science but simpe and it works for me. :-D :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:40 am

I've recently started entering information in the Title and Comment fields for each file that I download. To enter comments or other information, you right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, select Properties, then click on the Summary tab. There you will find fields to enter the Title, Subject, Author, Category, Keywords, and Comments. You have to right-click on one of the column headers in a Windows Explorer window to get access to the pop-up of the many other columns you can display besides the standard Name, Type, Size, Date Modified, etc. The summary fields can take a while to sort if you click on one of the corresponding column headers to sort the column.

I add what I can to the Photoshop Elements (3.0) Organizer.

I also use Reget (Deluxe version).
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby mark hansen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Without Clayton’s Muvipix database I would have been at a total loss.

Is this something that's widely available?
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:52 pm

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:05 am

Chuck this is the latest version: http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... nloads.xls I download all mine (I have everyone except 1 downloaded) to an external hard drive with a file location structure identical to the name in column a. I haven't started unzipping them just yet :-D
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks