They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PPro CS3 image stablizing

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

PPro CS3 image stablizing

Postby JRjr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:25 am

I just upgraded to PPro CS3 from PE4 and I really like the additional features, locking tracks being one of them, also the many advanced color-correction and other filters similar to Photoshop CS3... also the ability to cut & paste to any track, and perhaps best of all the tabbed sequences.

Sequences really simply projects by "cutting" them up into smaller more manageable segments which can then be joined before exporting to DVD. I'm still going through all sorts of tutorials (lynda.com and Classroom in a Book, and of course the ever-useful ... in a Snap book)) and the learning curve has been somewhat lessened because so much is the same in PE4. If anything I've come to appreciate even more just what a good value PE4 really is. Of course PPro also has way more than I'd ever use, but I glad I upgraded nonetheless.

A couple of things I do miss from PE4 are: the new user interface :shock: and the built-in image stablizer. I wonder, as the stablizer is a plug-in (I think), would it be possible (legal?) to copy it into PPro? I've never dealt with this level of customization so I'm not sure if my question is even an intelligent one or not.

I could always just stablize in PE4 first, then export into CS3, but I would lose the ability to modify the clip's stablizing later if I needed to. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.
JRjr

Re: PPro CS3 image stablizing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:59 am

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:36 am

It wouldn't hurt to copy the plug in the the Pro CS3 plugin folder and see if it works, you can always remove it.

I have still been using Premiere Elements for various things and then exporting to Pro.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JRjr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:04 am

As always, Steve and Chuck, thanks for your replies. I should have done a search first, which I normally do... Maybe it's Monday's fault!

I'm going to try copying the PE4 stablizer over to Pro, and keep the Mercalli in mind for sometime later. I'd never heard of it and it seems quite good, even the non-Expert option, which I would probably use if anything.

Interesting to note that although the price is listed as 59 euros and 119 euros respectively for their two versions, if you go to the purchase screen, it remains as 59 and 119, but in US dollars rather than euros. With the current exchange rate that's a good deal.

Again, thanks.

Jim
JRjr

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:It wouldn't hurt to copy the plug in the the Pro CS3 plugin folder and see if it works, you can always remove it.

I was going to try this, but when I opened the en_US folder in PE4 I counted 126 total plugins in the various folders, but only 91 are visible in the PE4 effects window, and several of them have "AE" in the name... does this mean they can be used in After Effects? And why don't they all show up in PE4?
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Yes they are After Effect plugins. Not sure why the number is different.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm

I copied the NewBlue stabilizer to the PPro CS3 plug-ins folder and it is available as a video effect in Pro, however it leaves a NewBlue watermark on the video that isn't there in PE4...

So yes, Jim, you can use the PE4 NewBlue plug-ins in Pro, but the rendered video will be watermarked. Oh well, $59 for Mercalli isn't so bad...
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JRjr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:31 pm

As soon as I got home I copied the NewBlue plug-in folder as I was advised, and it seems to work, but I didn't try rendering out anything. Oh well, it seemed to good to be true.

The price of the other at $59 isn't bad, but I think for the time being I''ll see how much I can do with PE4's stablizer first, and then if necessary buy. I've GOT to stop spending!

But thanks to everyone for your help.

Jim
JRjr

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:11 pm

I found that if you use the deinterlace option on a clip, the NewBlue image stabilizer works a lot faster.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:58 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I found that if you use the deinterlace option on a clip, the NewBlue image stabilizer works a lot faster.

Would this be because deinterlace "combines" the interlaced frames into one frame? OR am I warped on what deinterlaced means?
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Don't know for sure but it may be that there's only half as much to analyze if you deinterlace. Only one field is needed, not two.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:13 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I found that if you use the deinterlace option on a clip, the NewBlue image stabilizer works a lot faster.

RJ, do you use it in Pro without getting the watermark, or are you just talking about PE4?
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Just talking about in PE4.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Andy_E » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:38 am

I thought Premiere Pro came with the SteadyMove plug-in for image stabilisation? Or has that been removed from the latest version?
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:08 am

Certainly PPro2 did. You can still download the version that came free with PPro2 (the educational version) from there site. Dont know if it will work in CS3 though, I suppose you could download it and see. It is the SteadyMove_setup.exe, the others are demo versions or versions that require a serial number.
ftp://SteadyMovePro:stranraer@ftp.metrics.co.uk
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks