They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Web cams and file sizes

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Web cams and file sizes

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:22 pm

I am looking for a program (or maybe just the right codec) that can make relatively small (but clear) wmv's or mpeg from a web cam. Here is the issue - as far as I can tell, my husband and I are using the same parameters for recording our videos in web cams. I have a Creative brand and he has a Logitech. His files seem to be both clearer and smaller than mine of the same length. I appear to be using the Windows Media 9 codec. I admit I am not positive which codec he is using. However, the problem seems to be the larger files on my end.

My husband is deployed in the Middle East on a ship. Emailing these web cam files is the best kind of communication for our two small boys (1 and 3 years old) since the email doesn't mean much and phone calls are time limited and not frequent. We are also dealing with a 2 MB attachment restriction from the ship. This makes for very limited files. Mailing a dvd takes weeks to get from us to him. We do this as well, but would like something better for the "what did you do today" kind of stuff for the kids.

Can anyone make a suggestion to help us out? I am stuck and a overwhelmed with another video project right now (which I will probably post at least part of here soon...). I would really appreciate it!

Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Web cams and file sizes

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:47 pm

One of the best formats is FLV, very clear and very small files. You can create them in Premiere Elements easily.
Don't try mpeg, the files will most always be too big, WMV are fine but probably won't be as clear and small as the FLV files.

Your husband will need an FLV player at the other end to view the files but they are free and we offer a nice one here at muvipix.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=366

Why are you using the web cam rather than your video camera? Have you tried editing the web cam files in Premiere Elements? How good is it working?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:10 pm

Chuck,
Long story short - he is using a web cam because he doesn't have a video camera (just a video setting on the digital still camera he brought with him). I am using a web cam because it was easy to leave hooked up to the laptop in the kitchen. With two little ones, the chances to make videos where they try to talk to Daddy are spur of the moment things. We were going for the "quick and dirty" kinds of messages to each other. Until about 3 weeks ago, I only had PE2, which wouldn't have worked on my Vista laptop (the desktop with Windows XP being in another part of the house).

So now that I have PE4 (thanks Santa) I will try hooking up my camcorder and using Premiere. I will send him the flv player as well. Though when I tried to use it in XP last night, it wanted some file from Adobe.com. I got frustrated and gave up. I will give it another try tonight when the little angels are sleeping (if they ever do that).

Thanks for your help.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:17 pm

You may need to download the latest flash player from Adobe, not sure what else it might be looking for.
The FLV files combined with a FLV player will be the best option I think. Anyone else have any ideas?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:35 pm

I did download the latest Flash player from Adobe. When I go to the page now, it will tell me the player I have installed and it is the latest (and greatest) version listed there. Still, the file will not play on my desktop running XP. It will play just fine on my laptop running Vista Home Basic.

If anyone can enlighten me on exactly which files I can send to my husband to play flv files, I would greatly appreciate it. I would think the contents of the zip file for the flv player here, but I don't know exactly what else to send, so that I can make sure he can play the files.

The video I am trying to send is about 1.5 minutes of my son singing "Old MacDonald" - very cute.
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Just the FLV player (zip file) and your video clip (FLV file).

Are you using the flv player to play the file Jennifer?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:35 pm

I downloaded the muvipix flv player to my hard drive on my desktop running windows XP (recently reformated the drive, but Windows should be up to date) and extracted the player to the same folder as my saved flv file exported from PE4. When I double click on the extracted file "FLV Player.exe" I get a dialog box labeled "Missing Technologies" with these instructions:

"This program requires the following technologies which cannot be located on your system. Please double click on each item to find out how to install it."

The item is:
"Macromedia Flash ActiveX Control
http://www.adobe.com
Click here to download teh newest Flash control."

When I double click, it takes me to Adobe.com and I don't know where to go from there. Any ideas?
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:42 pm

This installs the Flash ActiveX version 9
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... rsion=MSIE

We might have to wait for Ron to help us in the morning ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 am

The link that Chuck provided should solve your problem. If the flash ActiveX is less than version 8 on your computer, FLVs will not play.

Why don't you create a private album in your muvipix Gallery and upload and view the videos that way?
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rockdoc » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:17 am

Thanks Ron and Chuck,

I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens.

Ron, my husband only has a very intermittant and extremely slow internet connection. If that improves (I hope it will soon) I will definitely use your idea of a private album. Thank you very much.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks