They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Best way to get 2 lav mics into one camera?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Best way to get 2 lav mics into one camera?

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:26 pm

I like to conduct interviews of family members for "oral history" projects. Typically I'll wear a lav mic and the subject will wear a lav mic too. These lav mics are the low cost variety (Aspen Mic, Audio Technica $30 special) with 3.5mm connections.

My Zoom H1n only has one mic input, so one lav mic goes into the Zoom while the other lav goes into the camera's mic input. I later sync the two audio tracks in post, but you can imagine that the audio requires tweaking to get the two tracks to sound similarly.

It seems that a better option would be to send both lav mics into one device, and then send the combined output to the camera or audio recorder. I can imagine this device should have low-noise preamps that would amplify the audio so that the camera's mic input gain can be turned all the way down.

The Audio Technica lav has its own battery, but the Aspen mic has no battery so it requires power from whatever it is connected to. I think this means I need an "active" box, not a passive one.

My limited research indicates there are a LOT of devices that could do this job. I know "best" is relative and budget must be considered. Cheaper is better but I would like to stay under $200 if possible. What do you recommend?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Best way to get 2 lav mics into one camera?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I'd recommend you record the dialog to a separate device, a device that can output it as a WAV file -- then sync it up with your video in your video editor. I don't think just running both mikes through the same camcorder input is going to work.

Can anybody recommend a device for recording two mike inputs in the field?

My first thought would be a Zoom unit, like this one. I just don't know if it can handle multiple inputs.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... order.html
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

The Zoom unit is nice but I would pay just a little more and get the Tascam model, for recording quality they are very well known.

Tascam DR40

The other option would be a small 2 - 4 track powered mixer. I own a very nice Peavey PV6 that would work very well for your purposes. It might come in handy for other uses as well. It connects USB so you can record to Audacity or any other audio recording software.

Peavey PV6
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 am

I think I would go with a mixer to feed into your audio recorder. It would be more versatile. Mackie makes some really nice mixers. They have the Mackie Mix Series Mix5 5-Channel Mixer for $50 USD that would work really well for your application.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ND1K8T6?psc=1

5channel compact mixer with proven high headroom
• 1 mic/line input with studiolevel audio quality
• Dedicated stereo RCA inputs/outputs for playback or recording
• 2band EQ with clean, precise tone shaping
• Phantom power for studio condenser mics

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:46 pm

I don't like Sidd's recommendation because it does not have USB recording capability, sorry Sidd :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:38 pm

These lav mics are the low cost variety (Aspen Mic, Audio Technica $30 special) with 3.5mm connections.

No worries Chuck. I recommended the Mackie because Ron had 3.5mm connectors not USB.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm talking about USB for recording purposes, not a mic connection Sidd :)

The Peavey connects to a USB device, like a laptop, so he can use recording sofware. The Mackie has to be connected to a recorder of some kind.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks guys, this is very helpful!!

So, if I have a 3.5mm-to-1/4" adapter, I would be able to connect my lav mics to the Peavey panel, yes?

I've heard about the JuicedLink preamp and I'm curious why it is so much more expensive than the Peavey 4 channel mixer. The Peavey looks very capable and is half the price, whereas the JuicedLink only offers 2 inputs. Can someone explain this situation to me?

And I guess no one else on this forum deals with two microphones during a video shoot?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Yes, the adapter would be fine. I've recorded up to 24 mics simultaneously using an Alesis hard drive unit, that was pretty cool.
http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-ADAT-HD24- ... B0002D04GK

I am not familiar with the JuicedLink but the prices of electronics are all over the place. I have been very happy with the Peavey unit.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:03 pm

JuicedLink preamp and I'm curious why it is so much more expensive than the Peavey 4 channel mixer

A lot of the time the better the signal to noise ratio is and the number of channels, the more expensive the unit is in audio. Peavey is good but they do have some issues regarding the signal to noise ratio when you use USB.

To mitigate some of the noise, you might be able to put a very soft sound bed under the interviewees speaking as it will help mask the noise that is picked up. I would recommend putting the sound bed in post and not during live recording. I would also suggest that if you are recording 2 people you record each person in mono. One on the left channel and one on the right. That way you have isolated each voice to a separate audio track and you can make adjustments in post to help EQ the voice.

Also, make sure you check out the what they actually mean when they say 2, 4, 6 channel mixers. Typically microphones will need some sort of pre-amp to bring the gain up when you record. Some of the mixers that are advertised as 6 channel mixers only have 2 channels that have pre-amps. The remaining 4 channels most of the time are stereo RCA inputs which do not have a pre-amp. Since you are using $30 mics that will be a factor in how clean you can record audio.

Sidd

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Excellent info Sidd. Could be that the noise issue you mention has something to do with more than just the hardware. No noise problems with my unit when recording voices or anything else, at least not that I am aware of. I did a lot of research before buying this one and it is one of the top in its class and price range. I will have to record a test and post the results :)

You are correct about the $30 mics being a challenge, they can also provide unwanted noise a well.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks for the great info! I didn't realize the pre-amp limitation of some mixers, so I'll keep that in mind.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks