They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to apply a transition between track matte sequences?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

How to apply a transition between track matte sequences?

Postby rtk1958 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi all,

Posted this in the PE 7 forum, but not sure how active that is and this probably isn't just a PE 7 question. So anyhow ....

I created two separate track matte sequences each using still images. Each sequence has a form where there's a background image on video track 1, a foreground image on video track 2, and a matte image on video track 3. The matte is actually the same matte in both sequences, just re-applied using different background and foreground images. Since each sequence is separate, the matte is duplicated and added to each sequence individually as a separate matte image. Both track matte sequences are working fine.

I would like to smoothly transition from one sequence to the other using something like a simple cross-fade transition which I applied equally between the cut points of the images on each of the three tracks. However, the transition appears to have no effect on the track matte images since when playback reaches the cut point, there's always a hard cut from the end of the matte in sequence one to the beginning of the matte in sequence two. This happens all at once in a single frame so it's not smooth at all. Maybe overlapping track mattes in a transition is not allowed, but PrEl allows you to put a cross-fade transition between track matte images on the timeline, so I assumed it'd work.

Any suggestions on how to smoothly transition between track matte images of adjacent track matte sequences? :conf:

Thanks,
Todd
rtk1958

Re: How to apply a transition between track matte sequences?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:09 pm

No point in starting two different conversations with the same question, Todd.

Can we continue this discussion in your thread in the Premiere Elements forum?
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=13372
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: How to apply a transition between track matte sequences?

Postby rtk1958 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Sure thing, sorry about that.

Todd
rtk1958

Return to Tips and Tricks