They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Camcorder on inverted monopod

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Camcorder on inverted monopod

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:46 am

I want to put a camcorder on a monopod, invert the monopod so that the camcorder is close the floor, and shoot video as I walk around. However, the camcorder footage will be upside-down. I suspect I can rotate the footage 180 degrees in Premiere Elements but that will take a long time to render. Is there a simple/cheap way to do this without rendering? For example, is there a special mount I can use that will allow the camcorder to attach to the monopod in an upside-down fashion?

Or is there an easy way to do this that I'm missing? I looked in my camcorder's user manual (Vixia HFR400) for an "invert" function, but didn't see one.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Camcorder on inverted monopod

Postby Peru » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 am

Ron Hunter wrote:, is there a special mount I can use that will allow the camcorder to attach to the monopod in an upside-down fashion?

Make one out of aluminum or steel flat stock.

or see this for GoPro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS6sbZpaUc8
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:34 am

I don't think the render time would be very long to invert in post. Tried this with a few videos on my old computer and no excessive time rendering.

Recently shot my grand daughter crawling with the GoPro upside down on a monopod. The water bottle counterweight worked better with the smaller camera. GoPro does have an invert feature, but just fixed it in post.

Here is a how to stabilize with a water bottle, works great!
https://vimeo.com/10589015
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks! I knew about the GoPro invert feature and it works well. I'll try that water bottle trick along with NLE rotation of the footage.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:19 pm

I use a monopod and invert the camera all the time and it works great. I also have a small video screen I mount to the monopod upside down so I can see what I am filming.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:22 pm

sidd finch wrote:I also have a small video screen I mount to the monopod upside down so I can see what I am filming.

Sidd

Now that is clever!

I guess I was making too much of a big deal out of rotating the footage. I'll give that a try.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks