They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Two scenes on screen with slow reveal between them

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Two scenes on screen with slow reveal between them

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:20 pm

I want to use a video effect but I don't know how to do it and I hope someone here can help me.

Dave Dugdale has a good review of Canon Rebel T4i vs T5i, and in the video he talks about Magic Lantern software that can improve T4i video quality. To display how great that software is, Dugdale displays video shot with and without the software. At first all you can see on screen is the video shot without the software, but a dividing line running from screen top to screen bottom slowly moves from screen left to screen right. As the line moves across the screen, the image on the left is replaced with the "shot with software" image so you can immediately see the impact.

Would someone kindly explain how I can do that?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Two scenes on screen with slow reveal between them

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 pm

A slow cross fade from one video to another with actually fading?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Track one would have a video playing. Track two would have video clip "B" with the crop or clip effect keyframed as a reveal. Track 3 would have a shape made in the Titler to give the line or a psd file. Hard to say without seeing the effect you mentioned.

Edit: keyframe the shape too to move from left to right.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:36 am

This is easy to do.

As Cheryl said, place video A on track 1 and video B on track 2 both starting at the same time. Apply the Crop effect to video B. In the effect properties panel, twirl down the Crop entry and set each parameter listed to zero. If you drag the "left" slider to the right you will notice that the left edge of video B will be progressively hidden revealing video A beneath. Set "left" back to zero. With the current time indicator set at the beginning of the clip, click on the stopwatch symbol on the "crop" effect line to turn on keyframing. Now move the current time indicator to where you want the entire video A to be revealed. Set the Crop "left" parameter to 100. That's it. Play back the timeline to see the reveal. If it's too fast, move the end keyframe to a later time.

If you feel you need a line to make the divide more apparent, apply the Drop Shadow effect to video B. Twirl down the Drop Shadow entry in the effect properties panel. Set "softness" to 0 to get a hard line, set "direction" to -90 to put the shadow on the left side, and set the "distance" to a value that gives you the thickness you want. You can also set the shadow color. You do not need to keyframe the drop shadow effect, the shadow will follow the edge of the crop.
Bob

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:19 am

Bob wrote:If you feel you need a line to make the divide more apparent, apply the Drop Shadow effect to video B. Twirl down the Drop Shadow entry in the effect properties panel. Set "softness" to 0 to get a hard line, set "direction" to -90 to put the shadow on the left side, and set the "distance" to a value that gives you the thickness you want. You can also set the shadow color. You do not need to keyframe the drop shadow effect, the shadow will follow the edge of the crop.

Brilliant. :tup:
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:16 am

Yes the drop shadow is Brilliant Bob!! I was thinking about this last night and trying to come up with an easier way than keyframing the shape.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Wow, that nailed it. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the wonderful support!!! :TU:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks