They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video on Colour Correction.

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Video on Colour Correction.

Postby Chris B » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm

I came across this elsewhere and found it very informative. It's a video on using scopes to perform colour correction. This is usually only applicable to the "pro" software versions.

Last edited by Chris B on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to correct video embedding.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Video on Colour Correction.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 am

Great stuff, Chris! Just a little heady for me -- but great information!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Sun May 11, 2014 11:28 pm

This information is good, but a bit on the high level for what I need. I am looking for the basics of color correction in the Sony Studio products. Currently I am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12, and I am thinking about stepping up to the Movie Studio Pro 12. Anyway, I just look at some professional videos, and I am impressed with how vibrant the colors look. I would like to achieve those same results. Is it possible with Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12?
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Chris B » Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 pm

It is - there aren't that many colour correction tools that Pro has that Studio doesn't have (looking quickly at the version comparison platinum has secondary colour correction) however you are working "blind" without any video scopes so you just have to go with what "looks right".

You will also need to bare in mind the source and output format and eventual display target that you will be using - which is unnecessarily complicated in Vegas.

In my limited experience look at making the colour consistent with colour corrector or secondary colour corrector for a specific colour (say the grass in a scene), and then use the "Levels" to push the dynamic range (and play with the gamma). I also tend to apply a little (Light or less) sharpening to the final output.

Here's an example taken out of my HV30 resized to 50% before and after the above. It's not a great shot to start with I am by no means an expert but you can see the second defiantly "pops" more than the first.

Before:
After:

Full Disclosure - I did this in Vegas Pro because I just can't live without the scopes - but the tools I used are all as above and available in Movie Studio Platinum
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Tue May 13, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks Chris, I must agree the second example looks much better. So the Vegas Pro version has scopes to help dial it all in?
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Chris B » Tue May 13, 2014 11:56 am

Yes - One of the (very few) distinguishing features of Pro is the scopes. They were one of the things that I didn't much see the point of until I started to use them - and now they (in particular the waveform scope) are constantly open! The video at the top shows how they are used and Vegas has it's own set of scopes that do much the same things.

They won't however do the work for you - each clip now becomes a process of manual adjustment (unless the clips have exactly the same lighting) meaning that you will spend more time at the edit desk. :eek:

There's lots of articles on colour correction "out there" - it does seem somewhat of an Art more than a Science so there are many ways to approach it. However before you start you will need to understand what Vegas is doing to the video that you give it. As I said above this seems unnecessarily complicated (Premier etc. hide this detail as far as I'm aware) - Here's a link that goes through what you need to know...

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/v8color/vegas-9-levels.htm

As far as I can tell this still applies to later versions.
Chris B

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Tue May 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks Chris for your help, I will follow the link, and learn.
Thanks Jeff,

Jeffrey W. Arnold

Return to Tips and Tricks