They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to: Make it look hot (Heat Shimmer)

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

How to: Make it look hot (Heat Shimmer)

Postby Wheat King » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Discovered by accident, Played with it for awhile and came up with what you see in the link below. No doubt there's other ways to achieve this. I was originally playing with the refraction effect (in gpu) but couldn't get it, so I decided to try wave warp.

http://www.muvipix.com/cpg/displayi ... ?pos=-1060

Here's the settings I'm using for two effects.

Wave Warp
Wave Type = Smooth Noise
Wave Height = 40
Wave Width = 50
Direction = 0 degrees
Wave Speed = 0.1
Pinning All Edges
Phase = -90 degrees
Antialiasing = High

Gaussian Blur
Bluriness = 5
Blur dimensions = Horizontal and Vertical

here's Image I used as the original
http://www.muvipix.com/cpg/displayi ... ?pos=-1061
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Nice effect. Looks like you could do lots of tweaking for just the perfect results, but posting your settings really helps get headed in the right direction.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:06 pm

I've got it as close as I could it's a lot better than what I started with. I'm hoping someone else might tweak, tinker and post results.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:08 pm

By the way, I wasn't suggesting that yours left something to be desired .. just meant that with that as a starting point, you could tweak for various different effects, depending on how much shine and shimmer one might be looking for ;)
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Hope I didn't appear offended. Note to self use more emoticons!! :lol: ;) :-D
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:01 pm

Like this effect, thanks for posting. The wave warp has many options for the settings. Such as the many wave type options. I have printed the help page and gives a little info, but how do you determine which settings to use? Trial and error?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:43 pm

momoffduty wrote:but how do you determine which settings to use? Trial and error?

Isn't that the problem with so many of these great effects .. with all the settings! I open them up .. then don't have a clue where to start. That's why it's great when someone gives you a starting point :).
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:45 pm

This will be perfect for my next film shoot in the desert, we have a great mirage scene and this effect will help to make it great.

Oh wait, I'm not shooting a desert movie with a mirage scene - well how about that home movie of the hot summer days growing up in Chicago :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:14 pm

momoffduty wrote:Like this effect, thanks for posting. The wave warp has many options for the settings. Such as the many wave type options. I have printed the help page and gives a little info, but how do you determine which settings to use? Trial and error?

Yes, It starts out with Trial and Error, but once you get an idea of how each type effects the clip then you can start making educated guesses. The key is to remember what the effect does in general and not limit yourself. Just cause an effect says wave warp doesn't mean that it couldn't be heat mirage. :lol:
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Glad to know that others use the trial and error format and not just me :lol: And for the heat effect, we had it naturally around here the past month.

And jayell, I agree. It is great to get a starting point from other's here. When Chris B posted the melting text prel., it was good to see all the keyframing and the settings.

Thanks Wheat King for posting your settings.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby happy2bapappy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:11 pm

Right on! Wicked eh!

I could see applications for this for the 'bakers life' profile I'm cooking up.

btw. getting closer to that day. Moved in to the house now. Still unpacking. Office is a mess, but getting there.

Instead of a chattroom as previously discussed though, I'm thinking carrying a thread could be more productive and promote greater participation. I think it's a great idea to go beyond critique of a draft or offering solutions to specific technical issues and actually brainstorming creative input from the very beginning. It will be a fun project that I know will bring transport my skills to a new level.
happy2bapappy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:23 pm

John Ahsmann wrote:Right on! Wicked eh!

I could see applications for this for the 'bakers life' profile I'm cooking up.

btw. getting closer to that day. Moved in to the house now. Still unpacking. Office is a mess, but getting there.

Instead of a chattroom as previously discussed though, I'm thinking carrying a thread could be more productive and promote greater participation. I think it's a great idea to go beyond critique of a draft or offering solutions to specific technical issues and actually brainstorming creative input from the very beginning. It will be a fun project that I know will bring transport my skills to a new level.

Good idea the thread will be more permanent too you can go back and reread stuff. I find I do that quite a bit. Hasn't been a year this site has been open and already lots of good stuff in here.

I enjoy brainstorming so looking forward to that.

Jamal
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:11 pm

Hasn't been a year this site has been open and already lots of good stuff in here.

Would you believe it is barely 6 months, we opened on February 19th, 2007.

I think the thread is a great idea, if you want a separate forum folder for that just let Ron know - maybe the 'Brainstorming' forum :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Wheat King,

With some keyframming, the Mosaic effect can create some interesting heat wavey effects. There is a custom effect preset named Mirage Heat 4 that I uploaded in a zip file:

http://www.muvipix.com/cpg/displayi ... ?pos=-1068

I thought it looked really good applied to the image you uploaded. Some other images I applied it to looked so-so. You may need to timestretch. The keyframming looked good with a 5 second still. The "vertical blocks" keyframming is kind of like a sine wave: 160 165 170 165 160 155 150 155 160.

RJ
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:15 pm

Hey RJ.

I imported and tried your preset. Used with the Gaussian Blur it looked great! I decided to get outside of my box again and applied all three together. The Wave Warp, GAussian, and Mosaic. This is the best one so far I think. The mosaic added some "depth".

The wave warp by itself kinda looks kind of side to side. Adding your preset but a little up and down. Makes it look better I think.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks