They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVI won't play within PSE Organizer

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

AVI won't play within PSE Organizer

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Hello all! I use the PSE7/PRE7 Organizer on my Windows Vista 32bit machine to organize my photos ("Photo Catalog") and videos ("Video Catalog"). Today I opened my video catalog and double-clicked on a video file. Playback had pure black for video but I could hear the audio. Same situation for other video files in the Organizer.

When I went to Windows Explorer and double-clicked the file, both audio and video played properly within Windows Media Player.

Normally I can play both audio and video within the Organizer, but today I can't. Any ideas as to why?

Thanks!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: AVI won't play within PSE Organizer

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Ron Hunter,

A few questions to start the discussion. Other people may also post requesting additional info.

I have Vista 32 bit with PSE 7 and PE 7, so perhaps I can help discover why this video will not play for you.

1 -- Do these video files play from within the Organize panel of Premiere Elements 7 (as opposed to the separate workspace Photoshop Elements 7 Organizer) ?

2-- Have you installed any new video codecs recently or any other video editing software (that might then have installed new video codecs) ?

3 -- Is this .avi file originally from a mini DV tape camcorder ? If not, what is its source?

4 -- Have you ever played exactly this same video file from the PSE 7 Organizer in the past ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Barb, thanks for helping me. Feedback to your questions:
Q1: Do these video files play from within the Organize panel of Premiere Elements 7 (as opposed to the separate workspace Photoshop Elements 7 Organizer) ?
A1: Yes they do (just did it).

Q2: Have you installed any new video codecs recently or any other video editing software (that might then have installed new video codecs) ?
A2: No. The only software I have installed recently is AdAware, although I may have installed the latest QuickTime recently too (can't remember when).

Q3: Is this .avi file originally from a mini DV tape camcorder ? If not, what is its source?
A3: The .avi file is originally from a Digital8 camcorder (Hi-8 tape) and was recorded in Digital8 mode. I have captured thousands of clips from that camcorder without incident.

Q4: Have you ever played exactly this same video file from the PSE 7 Organizer in the past ?
A4: No. I captured the clips last summer and tried to watch them today so I could tag them.

Looking forward to your feedback... ::C
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi again Ron,

I think I will need some help from others on this forum so I can't give you an immediate response now.

In the meantime (while I solicit some additional responders), I have another variation for you to confirm the results --

is there another video file from that Digital 8 camcorder that you know you have played successfully from the PSE 7 Organizer in the past? If yes try to play it again now and post the results.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Barb,

I just tried to play a Digital8 clip within PSE Organizer that I have successfully played in the past. The video will not play. I can see the thumbnail of the clip but when I doubleclick it, the screen where the video is supposed to be is black. I can hear the audio during playback.

I also tried to play back AVI and M2T files (created by PRE7) within the PSE Organizer. Same result.

All of these files can play within PRE Organizer and with Windows Media Player, but not within PSE Organizer.

- Ron
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 pm

as a general comment
I think that M2T and any type of AVCHD files can be problematic in the v7 Photoshop Elements Organizer.

So I suggest that we concentrate first on the AVI files knowing that you have identified a specific AVI file that previously played successfully in the PSE 7 Organizer but does not play now.

Another minor question
On your system, what is the default program for the .avi file type?
(I don't know if this will be relevant, but it seems worthwhile knowing.)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Digital8 video, when captured over a FireWire connection, is identical in every way to video captured from a miniDV camcorder. If the Organizer can play DV-AVIs from a miniDV, then it can also play them from a Digital8 cam.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I remember having some problems playing clips in the PSE 7 Organizer as well. Unfortunately I don't have it installed any longer as I have upgraded to PSE/PRE9. In version 9 (starting iwht 8), the Organizer used for PSE and PRE is thone in the same, so there is much more compatibility playing video clips in the Organizer now.

For version 78, maybe you should try installing the free codec pack by k-lite. It may help.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 am

Rebooted machine, same problem.

I don't get it. I have used the PSE7 Organizer many times to place tags on old AVI files, but now I can't see any video at all. ](*,)

Why should I have to upgrade to PSE9/PRE9 to continue to do what I've been doing all along?
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Everyone,
Playing of dv-avi from the Photoshop Elements Organizer is a very normal thing that has been possible thru many versions of the PSE Organizer. Since Steve Grisetti has said that the Digital 8 video captured is a dv-avi format, I conclude that it should play. In fact on this same system, Ron Hunter said it was previously playable with PSE 7.

My suspicion is that the change to non-playable is caused by some change to the codecs or codec priority on that system. So my question is:
What is the best tool for analyzing the installed codecs and codec priority ?

JohnnyO,
The PSE 7 Organizer definitely has problems with AVCHD video (including the AVCHD Lite), so I am suspecting that is what you experienced.

Ron Hunter,

1 -- I suggest that you post what version of Quicktime you are running.
Actually, I doubt that Quicktime is a factor in the playing of your Digital 8 file, but it will be simple to compare your QT level with others.

2 -- Do you have a small avi Digital 8 file that you could send me by email ?
Send me a Private Message on this forum if you do and then we can discuss sending it to me. I have PSE 7 installed on Vista Home Premium.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Barb, I'm using QuickTime Player v 7.6.9. I'll PM you about the AVI file transfer.

- Ron
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Barb, I PM'd you, let me know if you got it. The smallest file I can find is 33MB.

Remember, I can play the file in the PRE7 Organizer and in Windows Media Player, just not in PSE7 Organizer.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Ron Hunter,
I received the B0001754.avi video file successfully. I played it successfully from Windows Media Player 11 first before starting PSE 7.

After I imported it to the PSE 7 Organizer using the Get Photos and Videos command of the Organizer workspace File menu,
-- I do see the thumbnail
-- I am successful at playing the video from the PSE 7 Organizer -- I saw the video image and hear the audio
-- the PSE Properties window shows Date Shot as 5/3/2008

So it works on my Vista Home Premium 32 bit PSE 7 Organizer. On my system, Windows Media Player is 11.0.6002.18311. My Quicktime is old and I have not been using it lately: it is 7.5.5. In Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Associations, I have Windows Media Player set as the Default for the .avi file type.

Therefore, I think it does become a question of what has changed on your computer since you were able to play this type of video from the PSE 7 Organizer ?

If we don't find the answers from the about info then my next thoughts are related to video card driver or specific video codecs installed plus the priority of the codecs. I have Intel integrated video (think it is a 4500MHD but don't have specs handy at the moment): what do you have for a separate video card or integrated video?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Barb,

- Windows Media Player (11.0.6002.18311) is the default program for AVI file type (thanks for the path).
- Video card = ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256MB
- PSE7 (20080916.r.508356)
- QuickTime Player (7.6.9, 1680.9)

As a test, I swapped from the Video Catalog to the Photo Catalog, imported an AVI file and tried to play it...same result. No video, but audio played fine.

And as you mentioned, you can see the video thumbnail but when you double-click on it (or right-click and select "Play Video or Audio"), no video is shown.

Come to think of it, I did update QuickTime about a month ago and this week is the first time I've tried to view AVI files since that QT update.

Maybe I should do a System Restore to a point a couple of months ago and see if things improve?

- Ron
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Maybe I should do a System Restore to a point a couple of months ago and see if things improve?

I suggest that we wait for other people on the forum to make a suggestion because I wonder if going back a couple of months won't cause you other problems. I do think that since I can play the AVIs, there is probably some difference on your system that can be identified -- it just takes more work to find it.

-- I suggest that you check for any driver updates for your
Video card = ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256MB
It is possible that some update to Windows could cause you to need a video card driver update.

-- I think I will have time tomorrow to the Quicktime update so that I come up to the current level - that will be a better comparison to your environment and it is an update that I should do.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements