They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Make an eye wink?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Make an eye wink?

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:13 am

I've used Photoshop 6 for a few basic things and now I want to make an eye wink in a little video I'm working on.

Here's the actual eye ;-)

eye01.jpg

Basically, which tools should I read up about?

I suppose I'm trying to make two little PSDs from this: one where the eye is half closed and the other completely closed?

In a higher numbered video track perhaps I'd then superimpose the half closed eye (on the complete PSD from which I've copied the above eye) for a few frames (6?) followed by completely closed for, say 12 frames and finally back to half closed for 6 frames? Might that look OK?

Any hints etc would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Make an eye wink?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:39 am

Brian, would using something like Winmorph to create the transition from open eye to closed eye be of any use?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:09 am

Thanks for the idea John. I had a quick look at the DebugMode website but there seems to be a problem with the morphing part of it.

I'd actually prefer to use this little need of mine as a way of getting to grips with more of Photoshop - with a little help from everyone, of course! ;-)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:17 am

OK. It is possible in Photoshop but it would be a lot easier if you had the image of the eye closed as well as the eye open. Here is my attempt - caveat, I spent less than two or three minutes doing this so, done more carefully, it will look a lot lot better. :-D :-D

[wmvvideo]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10012/Sequence_01.wmv[/wmvvideo]
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:32 am

Wow - that's just perfect! Err.... what did you do....? :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:41 am

Mine was quite simple, just extract upper eyelid then use transform/warp to make it fit the lower eyelid, then just clone stamp to fill in the gaps. BUT here is a tutorial that I found which may be more help:- :)

http://www.rnel.net/tutorial/Photoshop/6308

PM me if you want more.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 am

Brilliant! That's SO helpful!! Actually, just the 'Pucker' over the whole eye and brow produces the perfect effect - on the higher video track for just a few frames. I'm most grateful for your help.

A bit later on I'll post the link to the Overture of the piece I'm working on within which Mozart gives his wink. It's actually Cosi Fan Tutte which is an amusing piece after all :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 am

Final SWF was made in ImageReady.
Didn't have time for a wink, just a blink.

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10181/eye01.swf

The actual size is the same as the original Brian posted, so you'll have to resize the browser window if you get a big eye.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:02 am

Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:13 pm

You guys are amazing! Please, how were they done? I won't be doing anything more on this for a week as I'm travelling etc but I'm SO intrigued with what you did.

If you have 8 minutes free (Ha!!) then you can see what I achieved by following John's advice. Using the 'pucker' effect I was able to include the eyebrow and although it's not exactly what I originally asked about I think it works very well. Anyway, Mozart now winks a few times during the Overture, first time at about 4 mins 20 seconds. The whole production was great fun and I tried to liven up what can otherwise be a visually 'slow' part of the opera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyTYwZRKUgs
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gooder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 pm

I enjoyed watching that! :)
The winking eye technique really worked and added a bit of a laugh to the project, nice!

Where was that filmed, what part of the town? :)

Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:57 pm

In the Temple des Pâquis which is basically the 'red light' bit of Geneva, within easy walking of the main railway station. Last year the same group did the Magic Flute and filming the two productions has been a real pleasure. Most of the orchestra are professionals (basically music teachers in the area) but the cast are all very competent amateurs. You know Geneva a bit?

I see you're in Stockholm - min fru är svenska - hon kommer från Halmstad and she's correcting everything I write - ah!!!! :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Enjoyed the video and the eye wink was right in time with the music. The audio on the video was so clear. Did you do anything special to get that quality?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Briantho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks! :-) I'm sure you'd agree that whatever the music, it's important to cut to the beat - but not every beat - keep 'em guessing!

As for the audio I used my two Rode Videomics which have been just great. The acoustics of the 'Temple' did not lend themselves particularly to this type of performance but somehow the ear and brain compensate and it sort of comes out OK.

But I can't recommend those Videomics enough. As a point of interest I have filmed LOTS of shows with them and they are still both on their original 9 volt batteries. Mind you, I always have a couple of spares in my pocket ;-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gooder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Briantho wrote:You know Geneva a bit?
I see you're in Stockholm - min fru är svenska - hon kommer från Halmstad and she's correcting everything I write - ah!!!! :-)

Hej Brian (Hello Brian)
Min fru är också svenska. (My wife is also Swedish)

My wife has been to Switzerland but not me. What I have seen from your video it looks interesting, just like Sweden is!
Jag kan prata lite Svenska men jag måste prata mer! :lol: (I can talk a little Swedish but I must talk more)

Brian, is your original language French?

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements