They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE6.0 or Photoshop CS3

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

PSE6.0 or Photoshop CS3

Postby Helen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi
I recently started a Photoshop course so I could learn about layers etc a bit more and try to use the PSE to its full capacity. However, when I mentioned to the teacher that I use PSE6.0 he was very dismissive about the programme and said that the full Photoshop is the way to go. So far in the course, I have been able to do everything at home using PSE6.0, but I know that when we come to "Actions" it will be a different story.

I use PSE6.0 to fix up my photos, colour correct, crop, remove objects, blur the background etc, since, I do not know much about the full Photoshop, is it really worth upgrading? Are "Actions" the only main extra feature in the full version?

I have been very happy with PSE, but am I limiting myself by not upgrading. What do you all think

Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: PSE6.0 or Photoshop CS3

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:22 pm

I think your instructor has not really taken a close look at the program at all.
He most likely is just assuming that the program is a much lesser version and missing many things.
You can probably help open his eyes to the reality that Photoshop Elements is a very powerful tool, just like it's big brother :)

Is he aware that you are able to complete all of the tasks with the Elements version?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:13 pm

The full version of Photoshop is a professional editing app. Among its extended features are the ability to edit in CMYK, create animated graphics and GIFs and create files with layer sets and non-square pixels.

If you have a need for the extra features, then you definitely need the full CS3 version of the program.

But, if you're cleaning up photos, editing photos and graphics for video and the web and you don't deal with graphics that will be produced on a four-color offset press -- I think you'll find everything you need in the Elements version, Helen.

BTW, the types of files each can work with and the quality of the output (except for the things I mentioned above) are identical. Nothing at all scaled down about the quality of the output -- or even the number of artistic filters, for that matter!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:13 am

Helen, If you are happy with PSE and it does all that you need then why change?

Chuck wrote:

I think your instructor has not really taken a close look at the program at all.
He most likely is just assuming that the program is a much lesser version and missing many things.

Sometimes I think Chuck is just tooo polite. :???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:23 am

I have been very happy with PSE, but am I limiting myself by not upgrading. What do you all think

I think you'll have a better idea of that by the time you finish the course. Photoshop has a lot of functionality that is not present in Photoshop Elements and it's not just actions or CMYK support. Will that limit you? It depends on what you need to do, how much of that functionality you would use, and how much not having it will negatively affect you. Photoshop Elements is an excellent and capable product. If you're happy with what it can do, I see no reason why you should switch. But, if, after you have seen what Photoshop can do in your class, you find you really want some of those other capabilities, then do it. Check and see if your class qualifies you for the educational version of Photoshop.

Adobe is positioning Photoshop as the Professional solution and Photoshop Elements as the consumer solution. The feature set and user interface reflect that positioning as does the cost. The basic core of both programs is similar. In fact, they share some of the same code. For basic photography, Photoshop Elements is probably going to be able to do most of the photo editing you want to do with it. As you get into more sophisticated editing though you'll start running into the limitations. You might want to take a look at this comparison, it's a version behind, but should give you an idea: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photos ... ompare.htm
Bob

Postby Helen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks Guys
At this stage it looks like PSE will be sufficient for me, but I will see how it is at the end of my course. My aim at the moment is to learn to edit my photos more efficiently. Maybe in the long term (when the kids are all older and I have more time) I would like to get into all the fancy stuff that you can do in photoshop. I can then purchase photoshop because the versions would have changed drastically by then.
There is also a possiblity that I can purchase Photoshop very cheap, but as I am only doing the course part time I will have to check. Normally the discount is only for full time students.
Hopefully, I will be able to convince the instructor by the end of the course that PSE is not as limited as he thinks. I think he needs to have a look at the features of PSE and not just rule it out as not being very good.
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:06 am

If he's like most instructors, you'll never be able to truly convince him he was wrong, Helen. But at least you'll know! ;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements