They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Organiser Annoyances

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Organiser Annoyances

Postby Spot » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 am

Well after perservering with the organiser in Elements 5.0 we (my wife and I) have given up and gone back to Picasa and sometimes Windows Explorer. The reason is that Elements is simply not active enough. Let me explain:
If I import an image into the organiser catalog and then shut it down all is well. If I then move/delete/rename that file and then restart elements it gets all confused. Yes it will then try and find it and is sometimes successful but it is a bit hit and miss. The big problems start if more than a few files have been changed. Frankly I have better things to do than help software keep up with it's own catalog!

I actually love the tagging system and interface and I don't want to sound too negative here as we did give it a good try, but just found we were spending much time sorting out file issues. Compared to Picasa or Windows Vista for example where what you are seeing on the screen is actually what is there!

I'm sure if you do everything with your images within Elements all would be fine, it just seems to lose the plot a bit if it's not kept informed.

Hopefully some of this made sense (it is nearly Christmas and I'm a bit tired!). Just wondered if anyone has similar experiences or even solutions!

Cheers
JohnB
Woof
Spot

Re: Organiser Annoyances

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:36 am

As I've dug into the Organizer, I've actually found it a pretty powerful cataloging and search engine. In fact, the first week of January, we'll be posting a Steve's Tips article on it and how to use it.

Which is not to say that it's without its annoyances, and you may well be right that Picassa is more dynamic. I've never compared the two.

But (at least in Photo Elements 6), I've found a lot of things I like in the Organizer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Organiser Annoyances

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:10 am

One thing about the organizer is, if you are going to use it you need to use it for everything.
That means you need to use it to add files, delete files, move files, modify files, everything.
When you delete a file in the organizer you have a choice of removing it from the organizer only, or from the organizer and your hard drive.
This way the organizer always knows what's going on and where the files are ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements