They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

slideshow questions

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

slideshow questions

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:37 pm

I am making slideshows for a video.

I just did the "get media from file folder and when I view the pictures, the pictures that are vertical (not landscape) it is cutting them off. Is there a way to correct that. I was surprised it would have done that.

Next, I am going to be importing them to Premier elements and mixing with video. So I am going to make about 8 slideshows.
It looks like the music etc can be added in PS or PE. Does it really matter??
I did a test of just the pictures and it looked ok in PE. Someone did help me out on antoher thread and said it might be a little jittery. Let me know if anyone has had any experiences with slideshows and PE and decided it wasn't good.

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start creating them.

Next Question:
There are lots of options after the slideshow is complete knowing I am going to put it in PE. Disadvantages and Advantages to the below.
Should I send direct to PE / and what file size
Should I save as an AVI file / and what file size

Right now I am making the video to be watched on TV, but it would be nice to have it so it could be watched on the Computer. Which means I would need to remake the whole thing!
Prel 3.0; Photshop ele 5.0; HP Pavilion XP Media Edition; 2GB Ram; 250 GB hard Drive;
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: slideshow questions

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:47 pm

If you're a member, you can download my Steve's Tips article on slideshow creation that answers pretty much all of your questions.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?maincat ... ubcat_id=7

In short, it doesn't matter if you create your slideshow in Premiere or Photo Elements. They each have advantages, so it's whichever you feel most comfortable working in.

As for your photos getting cut off because they're taller than wide, there are a couple of ways around that. If you don't plan on doing any Ken Burns panning and zooming, you can just right-click on the stills on your timeline and select the option Scale to Frame Size. Otherwise, you can manually scale the photos in the Properties panel.

Since I have no idea which versions of Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements you're using, I can't get any more specific than that. But, as I've said, my Steve's Tips article on the subject is pretty thorough and should answer about 95% of your questions anyway.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:42 pm

I have PE3 and PS5. sorry I didn't have that in there.

when I right click on the still in PS there isn't an option for the scale to size. Were you talking about in PS or PE.

I will check into the membership.
Prel 3.0; Photshop ele 5.0; HP Pavilion XP Media Edition; 2GB Ram; 250 GB hard Drive;
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:11 am

Scale to Frame Size is a Premiere Elements parameter.

However, in Photoshop Elements Slide show editor, there is a parameter about cropping in the slide show options - if you check that it can cut off people's heads in portrait mode photos. It sounds like this might be what is happening to you.

Photoshop Elements - Slide Show Preferences - Crop to Fit Slide with boxes for Landscape and for Portrait -

I have both boxes UNnchecked. In your case, I suspect that you have the box for Portrait checked.
This is one of those parameters where it looks like it would be good to check - BUT not really in my opinion, especially for portrait orientation photos of people. It produces automatic cropping that is often not the desired result.

Should you add the music in Photoshop Elements slide show or in Premiere Elements?
a consideration - PS elements has a simple fit slides to music which adjusts the slide timing for that slideshow to fit the overall length of the music. This simple one click choice does not exist in Premiere Elements.
However, if you do NOT need or intend to use that approach, then I have gravitated to adding music in Premiere Elements. There is the potential for greater control and it is not necessarily that complex to do simple things.

If you want to time the slides to specific points in the music, then you must do that in Premiere Elements. See this FAQ at the Adobe forum - http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbeb328 because you must plan for this.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:35 am

I created two slideshows in PS5 and sent them to two different projects in PE3 to test if they would work.

IN PE3 they play fine in the monitor. THe transitions are fine etc.

In ONE of the projects (one iwth 16 jpeg pictres) when burned to DVD and played on the TV, the first 3 pictures get stuck during the transition. They finally move, but they sit and move, sit and move etc. After those 3 files, they work fine.

The other project with two PSD files and two JPeg files works fine.

After this I thought I should just go with the PE3 and create all the transitions etc in there.

But when I woke up this morning, I was thinking could it have been a DVD burning problem.

Anyone have this issue? What do you think?
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:26 am

It could be a DVD player issue. Sometimes they have trouble with home-burned DVDs.

Test play the DVD on your computer and see if you see the same lugging.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:43 pm

would it be fair to say if the PS5 imported slideshows works in the monitor or playback in PE3...that it should work on the DVD. (and it is the burned dvd).

Or are there instances where it can play in the monitor and not work on the DVD due the actual file and how it is put together (not the burned DVD)

thanks.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:56 pm

"would it be fair to say if the PS5 imported slideshows works in the monitor or playback in PE3...that it should work on the DVD. (and it is the burned dvd)."

No.

A lot can happen between raw files and DVD encoding.

And, as I pointed out above, the bigger issue is how your DVD player works with home-burned DVDs. Remember home-burned DVDs are produced chemically, while commercial DVDs are pressed -- so not all DVD players can play home-burned DVDs well and some brands of disk make more compatible disks than others.

So try it in your computer. Put the DVD in your DVD drive and let your player software start up. If it plays well there, you may want to look into another brand of DVD disks or you may want to try your DVD in a friend's DVD player to see if his reads it better.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks Steve. I probably didn't ask that last question correctly.

The big thing I am trying to figure out is if I can do the slideshows in PS5 or If I need to do them in PE3. Someone commented on another post that sometimes the PS5 slideshow causes flickering and stuff like that once sent to PE3.

I am trying to determine if that was my case or if it was the DVD burning.

I just put it in the computer and it doesn't read it at all. I am going to burn the same exact slide show that was imported from PS5 and see what happens.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:43 pm

reburned the same slideshow and it works fine on the tv ...so it must have been something during the burning.

YeAH :-D
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:48 pm

bgsnmky wrote:reburned the same slideshow and it works fine on the tv ...so it must have been something during the burning.

YeAH :-D

Great news.

Did you by any chance use a different brand of DVD disc this time? What brand?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:32 am

nope the exact brand....from the exact same cd set. Memorex DVD-r

weird huh.

I am sure I will need to put this DvD on the extra long ones.....
What is the best DVD brand to buy - and the longest.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:16 am

That is one of the biggest problems with Memorex DVDs, one works and the next ten wont, then another one works and the next 3 dont.
In all honesty, get some good discs :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:39 pm

what do you recommend?

I am sure I could put this out there for everyone to answer. Maybe a poll?
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Already got that covered :)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=273
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements