They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

basic organizer question

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

basic organizer question

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 pm

I wanted to create a slideshow.

I went into Get Photos from file (as I already had the pictures in a file folder that I wanted to do - even in the order I want them). When I imported them they all came in except 3 files because it said they already exist in the orgnizer.

Is there not an easy way to just pull in the entire folder even if it is already in the organizer. I don't have them tagged or anything as I havne't learned how to do all that yet.
Or how to I get those 3 to show up.

In the file folder there are 82 objects, but only 79 in photoshop. I have it in the file folder view right now.

And how can I get the name of the files to show up at the bottom of the picture. Is there a way to sort by name...
Prel 3.0; Photshop ele 5.0; HP Pavilion XP Media Edition; 2GB Ram; 250 GB hard Drive;
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: basic organizer question

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:18 pm

Be sure you selected 'get from file' rather than 'get from organizer' .
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:43 am

I did that...but it still said there were already 3 files there so it wouldn't pull it in.

Is there a way to pull just a couple of files in to it after that. and how can I show the file name. I have named with a number so they are in order.

Worse caes I could rename them all, put them in a different file then bring them in.
Prel 3.0; Photshop ele 5.0; HP Pavilion XP Media Edition; 2GB Ram; 250 GB hard Drive;
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:44 am

I am not sure why it is doing that, might have to wait for a Photoshop Elements person to pop in.
I don't do slideshows in Photoshop Elements anymore, just use Premiere Elements. You are right, renaming the files should solve your problem here.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am

This is a great question.

I've used the organizer since PSE2 or 3. I store all my photos on CDs, but want an "instant catalog" of thumbnails, so I use the organizer, making sure to uncheck the "import photos to hard drive" option, and to store each CD's worth of thumbnails in a different grouping..

When identical photos exist on multiple CDs, the organizer refuses to import them as thumbnails, telling me they exist elsewhere.

Problem is, now I don't know they exist on the CD I'm currently thumbnailing, too. And if the previous CD goes bad, I'll think I'm SOL.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Referencing "Organizing Your Photos with Adobe Photoshop Elements 3" written by Michael Slater, who was the original designer of what became the PS Elements Organizer.

If you try to import a photo that has the same, name, size, date and time as the one that's already in the catalog, Elements assumes it's a duplicate and does not import it. This is true even if the photo is in a different folder.

If Elements rejects as a duplicate file .... just make a small change to its name and try the import again.

My experience is that this holds true through PS Elements 5: I am not sure if there are any differences in version 6. Of course, the method of changing the file name is not that simple, when both copies of the photo files are on CDs.

Just to bring them in to a slide show, you could use Windows Explorer to copy those 3 rejected photo files to your hard drive, rename them with 1 character of the name different at the end. Then add those files to the slide show. You might need to sequence those 3 files manually within the slide show.

For PSE v5 and earlier, in the Organizer Preferences - General there is a box to check for Show File Name in Details: it shows the File Name below the thumbnail in the thumbnail area of the Organizer window as long as the thumbnails are sufficiently large . In v6, the choice is there but in a different place.

In the Organizer window - you use Folder Location view, my experience is that the files within a folder appear in File Name sequence: otherwise they do not.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 pm

On the import...

The did not import in the order they were in the folder. I am not sure what the order is.

I had them all named:
mexico 1
mexico 2
mexico 3

etc.

Now in the organizer, they are not in that order. I can't seem to get them in that order. nor can I see the name of the files to easily change the order.

Any suggestions.

Also, I asked in another post but haven't heard back yet, - those who use the organizer to make slide shows..do you find it easier and look the same or better, to make them in the PS 5 and then import the slideshow into the video.

I will be having different sets of images I want to mix in with my video.

Maybe video, 10 pics, video 4 pics, video 7 pics, video, 30 pics etc.
Trying to see the best way to do this.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:51 pm

I edited my previous post with some additional information - so I suggest that you reread it because I added info about seeing the File Name and also using Folder Location view to see the files in file name sequence.

Most of my slide shows have not had as much intermixed photos and videos. In other words I usually have only one or two videos.

My conclusion is that I never add my video during a Photoshop Elements slide show: I always add it in Premiere Elements.

Whether to do the slide show in PSE 5, I don't think there is just one answer.
- Pan and zoom in the PSE slideshow are easier but give you less control.
- There are differences in timing playback between PSE5 and PRE3, so you can need some rework after sending a PSE slide show to Premiere Elements.

so ...
- with the mixture of slides and video that you have
- if you are not under a close in time limit
- you may find your file name sequencing easier to use in Premiere Elements
Therefore I suggest doing the entire project in Premiere Elements. It will have a greater learning curve, but you can use the resources of this site to assist the learning curve.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Yipppeeee...finally got the filename to show and they are in order when I selected the folder location view
THANK YOU THANK YOU

this was an interesting comment -- is it easy to explain in the forum. If not, I don't want to take up too much of your time.

There are differences in timing playback between PSE5 and PRE3, so you can need some rework after sending a PSE slide show to Premiere Elements.

For example - what would I be able to see watching the video if the timing was an issue
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:05 pm

bgsnmky wrote:this was an interesting comment -- is it easy to explain in the forum. If not, I don't want to take up too much of your time.

There are differences in timing playback between PSE5 and PRE3, so you can need some rework after sending a PSE slide show to Premiere Elements.

For example - what would I be able to see watching the video if the timing was an issue

Unfortunately I don't know a simple way to explain.

My suggestion is that if you send a slide show from Photoshop Elements to Premiere Elements, watch it play in Premiere Elements.

If the timing looks OK to you then the specific technical differences will not matter. If the timing is a problem when playing it in Premiere Elements, then I suggest that you start a thread in the Slide Show subform here at muvipix with a description of that specific problem so that we can assist you.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements