They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Problem using PSE6 Organizer to backup AVI files

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Problem using PSE6 Organizer to backup AVI files

Postby sbfowler » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi,

I have been using the method described by Bob D to backup AVI files through the PSE organizer. I have a setup a 'video catalog' to organize the AVI files, burn them to DVD, and then move them offline after using them to make videos.

Everything was working fine until recently. Now, when I attempt to move the files offline, one disc (out of three required) is burned and then second disc gets to 96% complete and then the process shutdowns without any error message. My computer locks up and I have to turn the power off and then on to get started again. I have done this five times and always the problem occurs at near the end of burning disc 2. Disc 1 is readable but disc 2 is not.

I have 'optimized' and 'repaired' the catalog, although no errors were reported. The discs are TY -r and I have never had a problem with them before using this process. I have played all 103 clips from the one hour tape from the organizer and there were no problems. I deleted the tag I used, for example Tape 29, and created a new one. Still crashes....

FWIW I use DVdate to rename the clips prior to using.

Does anyone have any ideas? I like(d) using this backup system but am not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,

Steve
sbfowler
New User
New User

Re: Problem using PSE6 Organizer to backup AVI files

Postby Bob D » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:47 pm

This is concerning to hear. I have not used PSE6 to backup avi files from the PSE6 catalog yet. If you have followed previous threads, I have issues with PSE6 cataloging my old clips, in that it can not retrieve them, so I am not rushing to utilize PSE6 as a catalog method from my avi clips.

I'm currently in an ongoing dialog with Adobe on this issue. Currently they are requesting my catalog and a copy of a DVD or 2. I've responded with my willingness to do this if they just tell me who to send it to and the address. I've been waiting about 4 days for a response to my acknowledgment to comply. I really do want to get this solved, otherwise I will need to continue to use PSE5 as my catalog for videos, but that is not a solution- in my mind.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Problem using PSE6 Organizer to backup AVI files

Postby sbfowler » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Just wanted to post a follow-up in case anybody ever encounters this problem. If, while trying to move avi files off-line, PSE shuts down unexpectedly while burning a dvd, try running a defrag program and then saving/reviewing the report. This was the solution to my problem.

I ran windows defrag and after reviewing the report I saw several large .avi files that could not be defragmented. I deleted those files (they were not needed) and tried to move everything off-line again from PSE. This time it worked! :-D
sbfowler
New User
New User

Return to Photoshop Elements