They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

sizing for printing

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

sizing for printing

Postby Rwellner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 am

I am an artist and want to be able to size a face so that I can print it out exactly the size that I need for painting. I'm sure this is simple for you guys, but I'm struggling. I've purchased the Muvipix guide to Photoshop Elements 15, but haven't found help there yet. I know it involves using the ruler guide but that's as far as I've gotten. Thanks!!!
Rwellner
New User
New User

Re: sizing for printing

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 am

I would suggest that you measure the face of the individual you want to paint. Then when you open up a new Photoshop file choose the dimensions in inches.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:58 am

Depending on the resolution of the photo and how big you want to print it out this could be a problem. Be sure that if you are going to print out large images that the photo you use is high resolution. Otherwise the image will not look very good when printed. There are other things to be taken into consideration as well, especially if you will be making large prints (over 8 x 10).
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Yep. It's all about resolution. Something I talk about in the first chapter. We also discuss resolution in part 1 of a free 8 part Basic Training for Photoshop Elements tutorial series.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

For most photo printing, a resolution of 150 ppi (pixels per inch) will do. Professional graphics people aim for 300 ppi, and some art magazines use even higher resolution -- but, for basic photo production, 150 ppi will do.

Once you've set the resolution, you create your photo to the size, in inches, that you want to print out. If you want, for instance, to output a 8" x 10" photo, you'll need to have a file that is 8" x 10" at a resolution of at least 150 ppi.

That's about the size of a photo from a 2 meg camera. If your professional, your photos are no doubt being shot by a camera that shoots at 5, 10 or even more megapixels, so you'll have plenty of resolution to spare.

Do you have a specific question?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements