They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Problems with selection tool not grabbing all pixels

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Problems with selection tool not grabbing all pixels

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 pm

I've been working on a project that includes objects that were cut from photos and placed upon other backgrounds to create a different scene. I am using PSE 13. I use the quick selection tool to select the area around my object and then remove the background, leaving my object on a transparent background.

What I'm encountering lately is remnants of the background are being left behind at the boundaries of my selections. Zoomed out I don't necessarily notice them, but when zoomed in I see vague grey areas that are a few pixels I cannot grab. I try using the eraser and most times I can't grab them. I will use a selection tool again and, while it does select them, as soon as I release the mouse button to indicate I'm done selecting, the selection boundary goes away and I get a message that I have not selected any pixels.

I have discovered that if I use the lasso tool I can usually grab those pesky leftovers, but it's a pain and it wasn't always like this. If I leave the pixels, of course, they show up on whatever background I place the cutout on.

I am wondering if being on Windows 10 has made a difference? I never experienced this before the last few months.

Ya' know, I don't even know if this description makes sense, which is why i so often don't ask a question - it's just too hard to describe. I'm just tired of projects being more difficult because something weird happens and getting it figured out is a nightmare...can you tell this has put me in a really bad mood?! Sorry.

I hope there's an answer for this! Thanks!

PS - at least Ron put the light bulbs back for the season! Thanks Ron!!! I really look forward to them each year. :exc:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Problems with selection tool not grabbing all pixels

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:57 am

You're sure you're not just seeing feathering or anti-aliasing?

It depends I guess on how much is being left behind and what your feathering and anti aliasing settings are.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:You're sure you're not just seeing feathering or anti-aliasing?

It depends I guess on how much is being left behind and what your feathering and anti aliasing settings are.

Thanks Steve! Here's where it gets so hard to explain...What i'm seeing is: if I remove a section of the background and then grab some more directly adjacent to the first selection...so in 2 separate steps...where the removed sections meet, that's where the pixels get "left behind". So, for example, if I'm cutting out the background around a clock...if I first select and remove the area from 12 - 3, and then select and remove the area from 4 - 6, I will see some pixels left at the 3...not around the clock but like in a straight line out from the 3 - the area the 2 removed sections had in common. Boy, I'm sure that made it clearer for everyone, right? haha

I've never entered any values for feathering or done anything with anti-aliasing in the past. I guess I will check this when I get home. It's possible I changed a default without knowing it?

Hmmmmm...just one of the many strange things that happen when I try to be oh so creative!!! haha

Thanks again Steve!!

Can I add a P.S.? Did you get my email about a few narration changes - I sent it over Thanksgiving weekend and I suspect you were very busy. Just not sure if I sent it to the address you usually check...my project is done except for that. Thanks!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:54 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words. Please post a screen capture of what you are seeing so that we may see it also.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 am

Yes, Sherrin. I did get your email. Apologies for not getting back but I've been traveling this week and won't get back until later this weekend.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Bob wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words. Please post a screen capture of what you are seeing so that we may see it also.

Thanks Bob...I'm trying to figure out a simple example and, well, I'll have to remember how to attach the screen print after I come up with one...uh-oh.

Steve Grisetti wrote:Yes, Sherrin. I did get your email. Apologies for not getting back but I've been traveling this week and won't get back until later this weekend.

Thanks Steve - I was kinda' worried I was using a bad email address. I figured this was a busy time for you. I really appreciate your help...looking forward to having a voice for my characters! In the meantime I'm trying to find a reasonably simple example of my stubborn pixel problem, but, mostly, I'm playing with those goofy lights at the top of this screen - please Ron - don't take them away!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi Sherrin, I have PS and should be the same PSE. Set your foreground color to white and background color to black. Use the selection wand to grab the pixels. Holding down the ALT key you can delete unwanted pixels. Using a small wand you can grab or delete the edges. Once a rough selection then create a mask. With a brush clean up the mask. Use black to hide and white to reveal.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Photoshop Elements