They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Not actually a photshop question

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Not actually a photshop question

Postby AVITRY » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi all. Don't worry, my stupidity will keep you all reading new material now that I'm trying to get back into all this.

I've been fighting an issue with my computers "Windows Explorer" program view. I was barking up the wrong tree for a while, but now I'm still stuck.

Here is the problem. Way back when I anticipated upgrading both my computer and my operating system, I realized I'd lose many of the buttons, bullets, object, and general images that I used on a regular basis in DVD Workshop since that program would no longer run on Windows 7. So, I downloaded all of them and saved them as photoshop images .psd Tons of them!

So I decided to just play a while and look through all of them via Windows Explorer and "Thumbnail View" The problem was, all I got was a generic photoshop icon rather than the actual image. ( I'll post a screen shot of my windows explored window in a second)

I assumed 'Thumbnail view was disabled somewhere, so I enabled it where ever I could find the option to do so. I searched the web and found an additional place to enable it. But .... to no avail. After lots of experimenting, this dummy decided to look in other folders with other photos and see if they were visible as thumbnails in windows explorer, and low and behold, they were, of course. I was barking up the wrong tree.

So now I double click on one ... Photoshop opens it, nice .... I decide to resave it as a PNG file. And ... now it shows up just fine in the thumbnail. If I can't fix the file extension glitch, perhaps I can apply a "BATCH" file conversion to the entire folder so they all end up as PNG files and would therefore show up in windows explorer.

My long winded question .. has anyone run across this in windows 7 and ... is there a way to batch convert all these many psd files.

Here you can see the results of my converting that one file. Thanks all!

OH Brother .. what do you all think of this before I go nuts again. If this solves it .. I'm good and maybe it will help others. I just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gguc2cgyWME

Perhaps, knowing the file name of photoshop's codec in it's home folder, I could merely copy it to perhaps a windows system folder and be done rather than downloading this thing.

Also, just found it in a safe place to review .... http://download.cnet.com/PSD-Codec/3000 ... 57208.html

Found this .. perhaps the best for last here and free... http://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects ... _b_tcnQPha

that one worked ....

I'm beginning to think everybody but me knew about this .... LOL ::wav::
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Not actually a photshop question

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 pm

You don't need to convert any files. The issue is that Windows does not have a codec for the PSD file format. Back in the Windows XP days, Adobe included a dll file to display the PSD icons in Explorer. Microsoft changed the way icons are generated back around Microsoft VISTA and provided a way for a vendor to supply a codec to create the icon for a specific file format. The old dll method became unstable and could cause file corruption or loss. Accordingly, Adobe removed the dll meaning psd files no longer display the thumbnail. For whatever reason, Adobe never provided a suitable codec. Other vendors have stepped up and provide a codec. I personally use the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack. Not free, but inexpensive($10). Besides PSD thumbs, it also handles many other types of image files including camera raw files. I've used it for years and am very happy with it.
Bob

Re: Not actually a photshop question

Postby AVITRY » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks Bob ... I knew I was probably the only one in the dark. I took a whack at that last free one I listed, seems to work fine and it has a lot of options for limiting file size, supported files .. so, live and learn.

I have had an old saying ... The more I learn, the more questions seem to pop up. I'm learning things so fast that if I keep learning at this rate, I'll be a total dummy in no time.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements