They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Insert Image Boxes onto a Background

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Insert Image Boxes onto a Background

Postby prkraus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:57 pm

I am using Photoshop Elements 13 to design a DVD case insert. I have a background image that I like. I would like to add a couple of smaller photographs over it. I have tried using the Shape Tool and the Poygonal Lasso Tool and I can trace the shape but I cannot put the photo into it. The photo I try to insert only replaces the existing background photo. How do I insert image boxes onto that background? Thanks.
prkraus

Re: Insert Image Boxes onto a Background

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 am

Are you using the DVD case project? If so, add a frame for the photo from the graphics pane.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 am

Did you select the Paste Into Selection option when you pasted your image?

And remember that, when you do select Paste Into Selection, your image will be pasted into the selected area at its actual size. So, if you haven't already resized your image to fit the area, you'll only see the part of the image that fits into your selection.

It might be easier to just paste one image onto another and then resize the layer containing your new image to fit the space.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby prkraus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks Bob and Steve. Bob, I tried that before with the frame. When I move the frame onto the project, the frame goes around the background and does not create a frame box over the top of the background. Steve, I am unable to get the photo to "Copy" so that any of the paste options are available. I have also tried to create a new layer, which I have done, but I cannot access the layer to put anything on it. It just shows as a transparent layer on the pane to the right of the project. I appreciate your help.
prkraus

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:35 pm

When you add the new frame to the project, you should see resizing handles along the edges. Do you?

Let's find out whether the background is being affected. Create your photo project and add the background photo. Add a new frame to the project. drag and drop a photo into the frame. Right click on the photo and select fit frame to photo. Drag the resizing handles to adjust the size of the photo and frame -- make it smaller than the background. Does the background image show? Is it still the same background image you originally placed there?
Bob

Postby prkraus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Bob, when I insert a frame, the adjustment handles adjust the background image.
prkraus

Postby prkraus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:52 pm

I figured it out but I can't say I am even sure how what I did worked.

Here is what I did: I created a new blank layer. I used the rectangular marquee tool to select the photo in the photo bin. I hit copy. Then, with the new blank layer selected, I hit paste. It pasted the photo into the middle of the new layer.

Then I went to the graphics and chose a frame. I moved that frame apparently onto the new layer. (This is the part I'm not sure about. I tried to add a frame without creating new blank layer and it wouldn't work.)

The frame now was a new layer. I added the photo I wanted to the frame, resized it, and skewed it. Then I went back and deleted the new blank layer and the frame with the photo was over the background layer just the way I wanted it.

I would like to be sure of what I did. Thank you.
prkraus

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:25 am

Ah, I think I know what's happening. See this video tutorial, I think it will help. http://digitalscrapper.com/video/photoshop-elements-frames.html
Bob

Postby prkraus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:13 pm

That's it! Thanks.
prkraus

Return to Photoshop Elements