They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Understanding How Adobe Backs up Catalogs

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Understanding How Adobe Backs up Catalogs

Postby kenskopp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Hello Steve,

I am not clear how Adobe interconnects folders when Backing up and Restoring Catalogs. I have all my photos and videos on a second internal "E" drive. My Adobe program files are on my "C" drive. I have 5 catalogs named: Family, General, Military, Trains and Trips. I have deleted some files that I thought were duplicates. Here is what I currently have when I go to "Manage Catalogs" under "File" in the PSE12 Organizer. The window that pops up only allows me to access the catalogs in the "Custom Location" and browse through E:\adobepse12 catalogs\. The "Family" catalog shows the following folders: Breeze Data, CAXMPFiles, Family, syncdb, users, WALDO plus individual files IE: catalog.dat, collstats.dat, eventsstatus.dat, + additional files. All the other catalogs refer to the folders where are located the original photos and video. Also all the albums show the location of photos to be the original location of the actual photos. All the photos in the albums in the "Family" catalog show "?" for missing files.

What do I have currently on my computer system. Last night I upgraded to Windows 10. I don't think this has any thing to do with my problem. Where on the computer would Adobe store the data on the five catalogs?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Understanding How Adobe Backs up Catalogs

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:58 am

By default, your catalogs are stored as .db files in sub-folders under C:PROGRAM DATA/ADOBE/ELEMENTS ORGANIZER/CATALOGS.

In version 12, the Organizer backed up a portion of your catalog to a site called Photoshop.com. In version 13, backups were moved to Adobe Revel. But I don't think your entire catalog is backed up. Just the files you designate.

In fact, I'm not sure how automatic online backup works at all. Which is why it's best to just post a question to our forums rather than direct your post to a specific person. We're a big community here, and it's best to open the question to everyone.

Otherwise, you can use the Organizer's File/Backup Catalog to manually back up your files to another drive or location. But even then, you can only back up one catalog at a time. And, when you try to back up your files, the program will first offer to reconnect any missing files to the catalog before the backup is run.

Am I answering your question?

I have to admit that using the Organizer to do backups isn't something I know a lot about. I use a third-party program to back up my entire system weekly. So maybe someone who understands the process better can answer your question.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 am

I apologize Steve. I did not imply that you should answer my question yourself. I was not aware that I should be addressing the forum community. I am not signed in to Adobe Revel. I just back up to an external drive. My question is whether the folder with the funny sub folders is a copy of the folders Adobe stores catalogs in? I looked in the file: C:PROGRAM DATA/ADOBE/ELEMENTS ORGANIZER/CATALOGS, I only found one folder named "My Catalog". It had the same CAXMPFiles etc. I am not sure how to find the adobe location for my current five catalogs. This problem may have occurred when I transferred photo and video files to my internal "E" drive. I know this seems very confusing because I am unsure of what I have done.

Thanks, Ken
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:48 am

The files in that folder are only your catalog files, Ken. They're just database files. I assume you don't want to back up these because they won't be of much good without the media files they're linked to.

But if you use File/Backup Catalog, I believe the Organizer will create a massive backup of your entire catalog and all of your media files. And isn't that what you want?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Yes that is what I want. I can't find the catalog files for my 5 catalogs. I believe there are three locations involved in the back up restore process. 1) The original location of data files, 2) The Catalog Files and 3) Location of the back up file(s) created by File/backup Catalog(s). Obviously, I know where the original file folders are. At the moment, I can't find the five catalog files or the five backup files created through the organizer. I am going to remove the Adobe PSE12 program, reinstall and then backup my five catalogs through the organizer. I just had Windows 10 downloaded. I can't find the place in it to locate folders on my computer.

I appreciate your support.

Ken
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements